Days: Leo's Mom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is there any chance that six months ago DAYS tried to get Genie Francis after she was fired from GH and that was the inspiration for this story?

Also, while I admit that I was only enticed to watch the clips, Diana Colvile is legendarily a character that never got a proper farewell and, DAYS has a long history using actors in different parts, so it seems to fit with the culture of that show in particular.

I think DAYS has the kind of relationship with their fandom that they get away with stuff with a wink and nod.

• Members

Maybe I'm being an extremist, but I feel like DOOL is just a few steps away from characters not mattering anymore. There are exceptions, of course -- We'll never see "Deidre Hall as Hope" -- but honestly, so many characters are interchangeable or been severely compromised and it's not helped with the nothing's sacred approach to casting.

An anthology-style soap with a company of actors playing various roles isn't the worst idea. But it's not DOOL. 

(That's not a knock at you, just my feelings about DOOL's culture. *waves*)

• Members

This is so true.

All of the soaps are bad but nothing matters on this show. The actors and characters are interchangeable, death is akin to moving out of the camera frame for a few months or years, actions have zero consequence day to day. It feels like they're just making a product to fill an hour a day 5 times a week. None of the stories matter in the universe of this show.

• Members

Damn. So true.

I've felt that through so many story arcs of the last 8 years. Add to that, SO many new characters they bring in, usually of a certain age bracket and usually actors from now-defunct soaps, are always huge fails. Starting with that horrible recasting of Nicole's sister Taylor with Natalia Livingston and then Tamra Braun, to Melissa Archer, Ian Buchanan, Vincent Irizarry, Daniel Cosgrove (probably the one semi-successful addition... for awhile), to Chrishelle Staus, etc.  The new characters are half-baked ideas with poor execution. 

You may not have liked EJ, but they knew how to write for him. This current DiMera baddie, Stefan, is a joke by comparison. 

Their short-term story arcs indeed feel like they're just trying to fill time. From the endless comings 'n goings of Chloe Lane (remember when she returned and suddenly was a villainess keeping Jennifer & Daniel apart?), to Teresa's summer story (now *she* was a successful addition, but sadly the actress opted to leave).... plus, the fact that they film 6+ months in advance and we end up knowing who's coming and going down the line, it always feels like a waiting game to see the current lackluster storyline wrap up. 

• Members

Agreed. 

I don't like to bring over posts from other boards I frequent but this perfectly summarizes why this casting is so messed up:

I can't speak to what other fans want. And I can't speak for people who were not aware of the original Diana and don't have a sense of what she should be like, because I have seen the original Diana and know she didn't act like this. I just know that Jack had a very unique, dynamic relationship with his stepmother Anjelica, and this is the actress I associate with that role (even more than Jane Elliot), and I don't relish the doublethink involved in seeing Jack interact with this woman again and have to remember she's not Anjelica and is instead the woman Genie Francis played. Especially when she's not acting like Diana and is acting exactly like Anjelica. 

It's just weird. It's weird anyway, but it's especially weird if Jack has to interact with her because he had very distinct relationships with Anjelica and Diana separately and it muddies the two. It's, like, I don't know. If they brought Michael Sabatino on to play Frankie Brady and Jennifer had to interact with him, but now he's Frankie and we just have to forget that he was Lawrence. But meanwhile Frankie is now a bad guy who acts like Lawrence. It's just... unnecessarily complicated. They could have cast anyone in the world to play Diana. I wish they hadn't done this. 

Archived