Can We Talk?: Year One of Ron Carlivati's DAYS

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It drove me off too.

I started watching again with Kristen's return and the wedding but even now I'm struggling to stay with it.

For me Ron is a lot of missed potential. That should be DAYS motto "lots of missed potential".

It was all so awful. And a terrible way to introduce Stefan. Immediately killed him as a character. And I knew Marci would be his Bree Williamson. OK but dull as a good girl. So he DID's her up. It's so trashy. I'm not really mad because I totally figured he'd do it. He's lazy. 

• Members

I also was really entertained by her DAYS novels, A Secret in Salem and A Stirring from Salem.  It is a shame that they never finished the trilogy.  However, it demonstrated the types of classic soap plot ideas that she would bring to writing the show.

That being said, and production/lighting/makeup/and hair aside, I am really liking Ron's writing.  It is snappy, stories move at a good pace, everyone seems to get their time to shine, and I like the campy elements.  I think he is good at creating cliffhangers, and his romantic storylines have evolved nicely from his time at OLTL

I also think that the uproar around his writing for hunky characters always sounds a little heterosexist for my taste.  I don't think the same criticism was used in 1987 when Bill Bell had Brad Carlton in short shorts for a whole summer, so I think fans should leave Ron's perceived sexuality out of their assessment of the show's entertainment value.  Besides, I enjoy a little beefcake with my drama, and I enjoy Ron's meta usage of soap tropes, which usually involve some nod to history.

Carlivati's mysteries are his weaknesses; for me.  I think most of is mystery stories follow an established pattern.  A big opening to the mystery, then no clues or red herrings for weeks, followed by a grand exposition dump, in front of the whole cast, to explain what happened.  I often feel as if Ron doesn't let the audience in on the character's secrets in order to increase the shock value, but it alienates the viewer.  For example, I still don't know Gabi's plan, or how it was conceived, or if she ever considered a plan B, because Gabi doesn't discuss her plans.  I find sinister planning more entertaining than the shock of a sudden revenge plot and seeing people victimized.

• Members

I really wish that they would just write Abigail as an honest to God bitch! I mean she's already been written as one for years, but I mean have her just be one and have it acknowledged. It might make her likeable. Right now, she is a self righteous, hypocritical bitch and a sanctimonious slut and aside Gabi no one ever mentioned that she's a fake and constantly excised of everything she's done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I loved his first year at OLTL, and GH.  Then liked for a period on both, then stopped watching consistently then stopped.  His DAYS is all the worst parts of his writing and none of the good parts.  So like his low periods at GH and OLTL.

This show has so many gifts for him to use.  An intact cast of vets.  Multi-generational characters established and in place.  Mid 20’s characters that have been onscreen longer than one contract cycle.  I know the budget is awful and the sets are not great but he could use those things to better advantage.

For all his faults, and there are many, Valentini is a better producer than he has at DAYS.  By far.

Archived