Most Vicious Fandom Wars

• Members

LOL!  I don't think it takes a lot to whip diehard DH's fans into a frenzy.  They are pretty hardcore.  She could have said almost anything to set them off.  And I am totally a DH fan.  She is a goddess to me, but I mean, I don't care that much.  It's like reading what Vanessa Marcil has to say on social media.  I love her to death and would watch Brenda Barrett read a phone book but she seems really wacky in real life so I just prefer to not to really follow it. A lot of her personal quotes turn me off.  I prefer to just watch her old school work.  I don't really care about her deep thoughts.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

@Wendy It's absolutely100% accurate, especially since I saw it with my own eyes. Scrub fans were horrible to Teresa Castillo and consistently wrote to JT and TIIC that Patty should join Robin. Their little minds (not yours) didn't allow them to connect the dots that Patty joining Robin meant JT was out of a job. Also, Billy Abbott wasnt on the table at the time so JT wanted to stay put. He didn't like Patty/Sabrina but that had nothing to do with Robin. 

• Members

Thankfully, I missed the height of the fanbases skirmishes for the soaps that I watched. 

I was on soap messageboards at the earliest time in their existence, then became too busy to visit them and had no engagement for a messageboard for years.  

When I returned to posting on boards, the majority of soaps were on life support.  Then the posts about "Phick vs. Shick" seemed so incredibly silly.  Almost nobody was discussing how badly produced these shows had become.  It was easy to back out of those 'stan-wars' threads.

The memory of Brooke vs. Taylor makes me chuckle because it reminds me of the time my sister walked into the room and said "why are these women fighting over Ridge?   Don't they see...the man's jaw is so crooked, his face is lopsided" and left the room.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Reminds me of Ellen Pompeo shutting down the MerDers when Dempsey left.  She made it clear that the show is about Meredith and she was looking forward to new adventures.  Dempsey had been threatening to quit for years and held the show hostage.  I don't watch, but I was super happy Shonda called his bluff AND killed the character!  Insane fans went off the bend while totally ignoring his annual bitch moves!  She's getting $20 mil a year now!  Suck it, wackos!  

• Members

I know his acting - for what it was - has eroded and he largely got by with being affable and charismatic, but I'll disagree to an extent that Marlena is where "Drake's bread is buttered". He did just fine when Hall was off the show and had successful romances with Diana and Isabella and flirtations with others post-Isabella. And, before she went nuts, I do remember there were a decent amount of John/Kristen fans until JER wanted to make the playing field lopsided as far as Marlena and Kristen were concerned.

I even remember that issue of SOD with Drake/Staci on the cover, and the mailbag actually said fans wanted John with Isabella and Roman with Marlena.

In other words, I think Drake Hogestyn has proven himself, if not as a good/great actor, as someone that could generate chemistry and be able to exist outside of his character's signature pairing.

• Members

This wasn't a slam on Drake. I think Drake had a place on the show as Roman.  I even think in the 90's he would have been fine without Hall, but giving him a kid with Marlena grounded him to the canvas as John.  I do not think he would be on the show now if he wasn't paired with Marlena.  I think in recent years they have utilized Deidre as Marlena way more than Drake.  I don't think he has been properly utilized since 2008 ish when he was RoboJohn.  I like Drake/John.  His acting doesn't bother me.  In fact, even as a fan of J&M sometimes I feel like they are way too over the top together.  I do believe he can generate chemistry with other actress.  I never found John/Isabella appealing or John/Kristen, but I liked the clips of Diana/RoJohn.  I just think it's silly to alienate his largest fanbase  (and apparently Deidre) for a pairing that wasn't going to last.  Was Jate that popular?  Did anyone think Jate was endgame?  Although I will admit LK/DH did have chemistry and wasn't a horrible pairing.  I guess I just never took it that seriously because I never thought J&M were ever going anywhere in the end unless Chris Kositcheck as Roman and Marlena took off-which was never, ever going to happen. 

• Members

I see your point. That said - and, like I said, I realize he is no Olivier - I think John could have worked if the writers stopped messing with John's billion backgrounds so as to facilitate other stories (such as Brady/Theresa, since, had well enough been left alone either as Roman or John in that dumb Colleen Brady era, they would be cousins, etc.).

Marlena has been more invested in, I'll agree. But it's easy when your character isn't mush, as John is. (Once Wayne left yet again, John should have been discovered to be Roman, after all. Oh, well.)

• Members

Agree 100%.  John should have become the real Roman after Wayne left or at the very least stayed with 1 backstory.  Or even just let Roman rest until WN could return.  I am totally willing to get over Belle/Shawn D being cousins to make John Roman again.  How many relationships would be incestuous if John was Roman?  Paul/Will, Belle/Shawn, Theresa/Brady?  Lol that's a lot to retcon.  I guess that ship has definitely sailed.

• Members

Meh...he could easily change his name to Brady Kiriakis (which he acts like anyway) or Brady Toscano.  Easy fix....Theresa and Brady are the hardest one to get out of since they are full on cousins.  At least Belle/Shawn would be like what 2nd cousins/half cousins and Paul/Will would be like half-nephew/uncle.  Paul could just not actually be John's son so I can fix that.  And I think most of the audience would probably just ignore Shawn D/Belle like Tammy/Jonathan from GL.  I think it's the same blood tie.  Listen Theresa could turn out to not be the real Jeannie Donovan, like Cal, Eve or someone kidnapped the real Jeannie at birth and "Theresa" was never the real blood relation to Shane/Kim and the real Jeannie could come to town looking for vengeance.    Look, I should be a fanfiction writer!  I just figured it out!  I would not be the crazy fanfic writer as mentioned above that wrote about actors instead of characters lol.

• Members

Phillip/Chloe vs. Brady/Chloe, DAYS. Actually IIRC it's one of the things that made me stop watching DAYS.

It can't just be a coincidence that it tends to be the worst couples that have the worst fans, though. I mean, Mannyacs? Yeah, I get it when JL was Michelle, but NSA was zzzzzzzzz as Michelle.

• Members

What do you think is the overall ugliest fan war?  I would say Jasam vs. Liason.  I remember going to another site to find spoilers for GH, back when I cared and it was pages and pages of ugly attacks at the actors and fanbases.  Both pairings are pretty lame so I never got the passion of the fans.

Archived