Jump to content

Most Vicious Fandom Wars


Recommended Posts

  • Members

The NYTimes recently did a podcast on online music fans/stans (followers of Nicki Minaj, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, BTS, et al) who dox and attack journalists who are the least bit critical of their idols. It made me think of the massive fan wars when I used to post on Mediadomain back in the late ‘90s/early ‘00s. What were some of the most contentious fan battles you’ve witnessed in your time on the Web? Most of them center around couples and love triangles, usually with two women and a man.

 

TnB (Todd/Blair) vs TnT (Todd/Téa) fans, OLTL - I think that was the first time I saw things get really ugly between fanbases, and all of that over a rapist. TnT fans were sooo black-out enraged when Todd punched Téa’s lights out in that cave, yet it didn’t dampen their devotion to that couple.

 

Jovan (John/Evangeline) vs Jolie (John/Natalie) fans, OLTL - nasty with a side of racism

 

Broe (Brady/Chloe) vs Phloe (Philip/Chloe) fans,  DAYS

 

Brenda vs Skye fans, GH

 

Any other examples?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Members

Sonny/Brenda vs. Jax/Brenda (GH).

 

9 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Jovan (John/Evangeline) vs Jolie (John/Natalie) fans, OLTL - nasty with a side of racism

 

I don't think I'm being too hyperbolic when I say the online soap-verse remains littered with the corpses from that Gettysburg of a battle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
14 minutes ago, Khan said:

I don't think I'm being too hyperbolic when I say the online soap-verse remains littered with the corpses from that Gettysburg of a battle.

Yeah, that was... not fun to watch play out. But that storyline seemed tailor-made to produce the maximum amount of fan vitriol. And John treated them both like crap.

 

I forgot one: Carjack (Carly/Jack) vs JnJ (Jack/Julia) fans, ATWT. That got messy QUICKLY.

Edited by Faulkner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 minutes ago, ReddFoxx said:

Actress Sarah Brown received hate mail from Jack and Carly fans during her short time on ATWT.

Because Maura West’s Carly had to be daytime’s one and only? People are insane. (Also: newsflash. Crystal Chappell did it first.)

Edited by Faulkner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
11 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Because Maura West’s Carly had to be daytime’s one and only? People are insane. (Also: newsflash. Crystal Chappell did it first.)

 

No, because her character came between Jack and Carly, not because she had played a character named Carly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 minutes ago, JellicleCat said:

 

No, because her character came between Jack and Carly, not because she had played a character named Carly.

Oh gotcha. Sorry, my bad. I had forgotten she was on ATWT, in addition to the gazillion other soaps she did.

Edited by Faulkner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I thought Jasam, Billy/Kelly fans were rabid, but these stories take the cake.  

Remember insane Danny/Michelle fans?  Ultimately, their insanity led to the characters being written out.  If you can't pair them with other people from time to time, what's the point of having them?  LW had to have security and that's fucked up!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
37 minutes ago, ChitHappens said:

I thought Jasam, Billy/Kelly fans were rabid, but these stories take the cake.  

Remember insane Danny/Michelle fans?  Ultimately, their insanity led to the characters being written out.  If you can't pair them with other people from time to time, what's the point of having them?  LW had to have security and that's fucked up!  

The original Jasam/Liason fan wars were insane too.  Not to say I wasn't part of some nutty message boards myself 15 years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I was doing a bit of freelance work for a now-defunct soap opera magazine and interviewed one-half of Jason/Liz. It focused on the pair's history. This was at the height of the Jason/Sam vs Jason/Liz chaos. The reaction was simply terrifying. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy