Retconning: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

• Members

I do like those as well. Murray's exit must have been such a huge shock back then, especially since he did survive a few episodes following that dive.

No worries!! There's a still or two of Alexis being crowned out there. We never knew if it was her coronation or a dream, but it was certainly filmed and dumped when the show retooled (for the much, much better....).

It's not like you could even cut the singing scenes on KNOTS. Lots of times there were montages, or whole scenes in which characters made decisions/the plot moved. So getting rid of all of that would make for an incomprehensible show almost. Thanks for remembering I'm still watching haha... not sure what you're referring to, so I likely haven't seen it yet.

To be fair, though, 1st era JER (crazy and insane as it got) is vastly different from 2nd era.... for what that's worth!

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It would be really hard to cut the Ciji songs, or the first season of Cathy songs.  They were central to the plot, other characters and I don’t want them to be cut lol.

Once she started singing on Joshua’s show, some of those I would be okay with not seeing again.

Shout Factory did a good job with WKRP, but there were a couple of glaring omissions due to the fees.  Pink Floyd I’m looking at you.

• Members

Instead of telling the rest to stay on-topic, why not use that post to, you know, say something pertinent to the topic?

Also, since when do SON post-ers ever complain about a thread not staying on topic?

• Members

Does it count as a retcon if a character portrayal was never fully expressed? For example, Passions quickly (within the first few weeks?) switched Julian from a credible businessman to round-the-clock horndog. I thought Ben Masters did well with what he was given, but oh, what could have been.

• Members

Passions alone could dominate this topic.

For instance, when Fancy first debuted.. it was said she and Pretty had been traveling the world partying it up like the Hilton sisters.. and Fancy had to return to Harmony while Pretty continued partying.

Then a year or two later, it was retconned that Pretty and Fancy had never liked one another... and that Fancy caused Pretty to be deformed.

• Members

On RH, we had the retcon of Faith's resentment towards Jill being created to bolster the Frank/Jill/Faith story.

One retcon that bugged me at the time was on GL with Jenna. She, Harley and Phillip were trying to get the goods on Jenna's husband, Geoffrey Morgan, and Harley was pretending to be "Starla". At one point, Jenna had to distract Geoffrey from discovering Harley. She managed to do this without having to sleep with him, and said as much to Harley later. And there was no sex scene shown, as would be typical for a soap. However, later, the story became that she did have to sleep with Geoffrey and conceived Rocky in the process.

• Members

Sloppy one — Carly on ATWT started having flashbacks of Iris saying, “What have you done to my beautiful boy?”

this was already a retcon. When TPTB decided to take Jennifer Landon”s short term role as Gwen and make it permanent, they made her Carly’s sister and the beautiful baby boy became a girl.

so what was already a retcon got quickly retconned.

or it was just bad writing. Obviously it wasn’t originally meant to be Gwen, but idk what the original plan was. This was also at the same time the HW switched from Sheffer to Passanante.

An example of a good retcon IMO was KL’s Lilimae having a younger son, Joshua, that she had abandoned. It actually made what had already happened between Lilimae/Chip more interesting.

A retcon is almost never a good thing. When it happens, it should serve to enrich what we’ve already seen. The vast 95+% of examples fail this simple test.

• Members

The music. that was the same reason why WKRP took so long to come to DVD. they have a ton of music rights to get past, and many of the songs, just the 3-5 seconds they played, had to be edited over with generic music.

This. threads are supposed to evolve IMPO. this one has. we've had very little of posters telling someone they're wrong because they don;t agree with them, or this..."Stay On Topic." "We're not on topic!" "STAY ON TOPIC!"

Archived