Retconning: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

• Members

Lady Ashley Mitchell was written out because John F. didn't want for Blake to be cheating on Krystal. He didn't believe he would do that to Krystal so the writers paired her with Jeff but Fallon returned and there was nothing for her to do. IMO she was a better match for Jeff than awful Emma Samms as a recast Fallon.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know who it could be (I don't seem to recall anyone just disappearing, although that wouldn't be strange on DYNASTY), but it wasn't Ashley. We were told she died and Dominique gave Jeff a letter from Ashley.

• Members

Someone mentioned Jill being Katherine's daughter... I remember the scenes where Jill's "mother" (SSH's mom) was telling Kay about the baby she took for her and how it was Jill. Did the show ever explain what happened to the little girl, did she pass away, did they ever cast the role? Or did that end up being Stephen Nichols' character?

• Members

I forgot about the letter and was just going off Ali's last credit being "Royal Wedding." That's one reason why I like the fakeouts, like Don Murray's three-episode run in Season 3 of Knots. Compare it to not-Laura Johnson under all that rubble after Falcon Crest's earthquake.

• Members

Whoops.  I must've misread or -heard the information.  Sorry, YRBB!

Yeah, cutting out the music-oriented scenes from KNOTS episodes would be next to impossible.  Music was so integral to its storytelling, beginning with Lisa Hartman, and continuing through the Latham/Lechowick years.  In fact, I still remember when Danny -- oh, wait, YRBB, you might not be that far yet in your watching.

Please register in order to view this content

REALLY??  OMG.  If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: JER had no business being a HW of any show.

• Members

That whole episode was ludicrous. I remember Karen outsmarting him and JR admiring her gumption. Mary Sue 101 writing. JR would have despised her. 

I think the best Dallas crossover episode was Lucy's. 

• Members

Sometimes, trying to undo heinously stupid retcons only makes the situation worse (like undoing the idea that Jill was Katherine's daughter on Y&R by saying that she was really Lauren's sister), but other times...any undoing of an awful retcon is welcome.

• Members

Which stories would you "undo"?

- I would bring back Snapper and Greg Foster for a visit and pretend the Jill Fennmore fiasco never existed. It would never be mentioned again for no reason. Jill is a Foster. I wouldn't mind writing out Lauren so that nobody says anything about it ever again. 

- I would have Jill mention that her son Phillip is dead. Just like that. She would remember him in a scene with her niece Jennifer and that's it.

- Dina Abbott Mergeron's Alzheimer would be a scheme by Graham and an evil doctor. This would be revealed within two episodes and never mentioned again.

- Summer Newman returns as Summer Abbott, Jack's daughter. 

- The stupidity with Jack's paternity would never be mentioned again.

- I would bring back Phillip IV, but his Chance era would never be mentioned. 

I would love to bring back Brad and Colleen Carlton, but I am not sure I would do something that drastic. Probably not.

• Members

@Elsa, though great suggestions, I'd leave a lot of that stuff alone. I do agree Summer should've been a damn Abbott and that can still be undone. 

When it comes to Jill, the only thing I wish would happen would be that Greg and Snapper simply state that Liz was delirious when she told Jill she was adopted; however, that can't be done either. I do wish they'd undo her as a Fenmore b/c wasn't Jill about the same age as Neil?!

One story I would undo is Amanda being made Alan's sister on Guiding Light. Now having seen the impact Amanda's paternity had back in late 70s/early 80s of the show, I find it appalling that anyone would've found this idea to be a good one. 

• Members

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it would be so much easier (and so much more believable) to say that Jill is the product of Bill Foster, Sr.'s extramarital affair.  That way, Jill goes back to being a Foster again (even though she still won't be Liz's biological daughter anymore) without ignoring everything that's happened onscreen.

Since they went to so much trouble bringing him back from the dead (and making him gay), I say let Phillip remain alive.  For God's sake, though, BRING HIM BACK TO GENOA CITY.  What good is it to have him alive again, but living on another continent?  And you don't even have to bring back Thom Bierdz since it was clear he wasn't up to the task anymore.  Recast him with an age-appropriate actor and you're fine.

I'm okay with Dina's Alzheimer's being legit (even though it's sad to think there'll come a time when she has to die), but we could write off Jack's paternity twist as confusion on her part.  Heck, for all anyone knows, Dina's always believed John wasn't Jack's biological dad, when, in fact, he was!

Summer can stay gone.

Considering the grave error (on the writers' part) on that (alleged) birth certificate found in the bust -- no, her mother's name was NOT "Jennifer," GL -- I'd say it could have easily been exposed as a hoax on someone's part.  IIRC, too, the birth certificate was found in Brandon's bust, so you COULD say Brandon himself placed it there in order to throw Amanda off the track.  IJS.

That's one thing.  However, didn't some fans here say that Neil and Jill had been briefly involved?  If so, then we have a case of Jill once having had a fling with her biological father.  (Bill Bell would be so proud.)

• Members

This was a horrible idea and it served no purpose at all. This was not the way to bring Amanda back. 

BTW I liked what RC did on OLTL when (in an anniversary episode) he had Dorian say that the 2004 Victor was probably a fraud. It was just a sentence but it made me feel that the show acknowledged the absurdness of the previous regime's story and that they didn't like it either. Something like that would make me feel a lot better about insane storylines like Jill Fennmore and Gay Phillip. 

• Members

Yeah, but I truly wished they had followed up on that.  Dorian's speculation was just that: speculation.  Otherwise, we have to accept that Victor indeed came back from the dead.

• Members

Exactly.  They had Val making him ice tea and tuna fish sandwiches and waiting on him like a maid in her own home.  J.R. in Dallas would went after Karen with both barrels and foreclosed on Gary and Val's house and sold it for profit. 

The Lucy episode was fun. 

• Members

Look on the bright side, y'all: they COULD have had Larry Hagman, or any other actor from DALLAS, cross over permanently to KNOTS once DALLAS went off the air.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

isn't that stupid? JER was the WORST HW I have ever witnessed. even DH is better than he was.

and...and I wasn't watching then..did Ash ever get a PT to prove John wasn't her father? or just took Dina's word?

Archived