Three Y&R actress return for anniversary

• Members

Did you mean to write that you will LET me know as soon as it hits Daily Motion? If not, I would be soooo confused.

Anyway, thank you for any heads up you will send my way! The Brooks sisters were my favorite characters in Y&R's history, and I am excited about seeing two of them again. I'm just sorry we cannot also get an appearance by Trish Stewart as Chris Brooks Foster, who was my number one fave. But getting Janice Lynde back is like a miracle, so I am not complaining!!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have seen the first years of many soaps, but I can honestly say that the debut season of Y&R was the very best, bar none. Most shows experience growing pains and a certain amount of upheaval at first, but when Y&R began in 1973, the writing was great from the get-go. The directing, lighting, background music, sets, and wardrobe were all wonderful. The opening cast was charismatic and the actors (even if some of them were green at the beginning) had been well chosen and grew into their roles.

It was appointment TV! Janice Lynde was sensational as Leslie Brooks. It will be interesting to see what the current writers have planned for her.

• Members

If the show was so determined to hire Melissa Claire Egan at the time they did, I'd have cast her as Jill's niece. Her and Vail Bloom. I don't know why I think they'd work well as her nice, as sort of her "mini-me" so to speak. They're not the strongest actresses ever but MCE has it in her, at least she did on AMC.

I also would have cast Jennifer Landon as Mac and Jessica Collins as Heather, but that's for another day.

I've wanted Brooks and Jill's niece on the show forever. Think of all the throwaway newbies we've had? I also wanted a Foster son to come to town, Stitch should have been that. But maybe not the actor ... I guess he was OK.

Anyway .... back to the regularly scheduled thread

• Members

Soap fans in general seem to love nods to past characters and storylines, even if those long-ago characters and stories were before their time. Many younger fans of TGL kept hoping for the return of Trudy Bauer, for example, regardless of the fact that these viewers had only read about the character, never seen her. Viewers have spent time creatively dreaming up ways for history to be woven into present-day event on their favorite shows because because on soaps, history and family foundations are comforting and important.

Over the decades, we have had a plethora of irrelevant, pointless newbies strut their way through Genoa City, Springfield, Salem, Oakdale and other soap towns. Why not throw history-loving viewers a bone and tie some of these new characters to beloved families of yore? Peggy Brooks could have ended up marrying Steve Williams, providing Paul with a feisty red-haired niece. Greg Foster has been away from Genoa City long enough for one of his young-adult sons to return and open a legal-aid clinic. Snapper's and Chris' daughter Jennifer could be on staff at the hospital. His son Chuckie could reopen Pierre's restaurant. Brooks Prentiss could be a dynamic young business mogul who takes on Victor Newman and Jack Abbott.

History and legacy characters are not the enemy. Embrace them. To me, they are an added incentive for viewers to appreciate and remain loyal to the soaps.

It really was. The show was instantly mesmerizing. I am used to soaps taking a good year or more to find their footing. Even Ryan's Hope, written by the great Claire Labine, had birthing pains. So did Irna Phillips' Another World, Agnes Nixon's/Douglas Marland's Loving. But Y&R was a winner immediately. 

• Members

+1. I can't think of how many times growing up I had heard about Luke and Laura from my mom and grandmom before they came back to GH. Or when the Cassindines followed with that ominous pormo they ran back then. And I had to ask my mom about it.

Or the significance of specific villains like Janet from ANother Planet or Stefano or Tracy Quartermaine.  And to see the devastation they threw out was a thing of beauty when all I had heard...was memories. That made me think of when Tracy moved over to THE CITY, and thanks to the taste of her I had gotten on GH, I already knew Carla was outmatched...AND I WAS RIGHT!!!

Please register in order to view this content

History is your friend.

I can just imagine.

Archived