Favorite murder mystery or serial killer story?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The writing took a huge upswing in quality when PFS took over the reigns in October of 1981, and then instantly collapsed six months later when she abruptly left, alas.

PFS refused to take the blame for the Ice Princess dreck on GH. In the press, after being fired from GH, she called producer Gloria Monty a genius who ran a gestapo organization,  and said of the IP plot, that "crappy writing wasn't mine," it was the work of scabs.

Thom Racina (UGH!) inflicted the Ice Princess onto GH.

Please register in order to view this content

http://www.thomracina.com/soaps.html

• Members

My late mom was in her 20s during the heyday of the Ice Princess story.. and she didn't hate it.  She actually thought it was an interesting story and said that when temperatures started to drop (once the machine was put into effect)..people gathered at GH to get warmth/treatment for cold related issues.. that Steve/Audrey/Ruby/jessie were used quite a bit.. and that there were other stories going on at the same time.

As I said before, loved the Loving Murders.. and the George Rawlins murder mystery was well-written on Y and R.  I'm trying to recall if there have been any good murder/serial killer stories on the soaps in the 2000s/2010s and I'm drawing a blank.

I think Capital had a decent mystery/political story when Henry S was head-writing involving the lead heroine Julie and her lookalike Jenny.. where there was a murder, corruption, spy ring, and a kidnapping.. and the story went on for months.. it didn't drag and didn't become too over the top.  I liked that the head-writer didn't try to remake Capital into an EON, but adjusted his style to fit Capital.  The story wasn't just a murder mystery.. but was a political corruption story..

• Members

I remember the salem slasher story but was pissed that they killed of Renee so I guess I couldn't really get into it. 

I was into the Sin Stalker story on AW. The killing of Maisie and Quinn. Who could forget the attack on poor Crystal Gayle!? I remember that they had lead the audience into believing it was someone only to turn it again (Tony, Chad, Peter). Granted, it was probably because the writers had no freaking clue who the killer was going to turn out to be and the reveal wasn't as great as I had hoped. (Ironically, wasn't it revealed in the lighthouse when John saved Donna (Philece Sampler, former DAYS Renee)?)

• Members

The Jason Frame murder on AW was done well because there were so many suspects.  All the other storylines on the show reached a boiling point as Felicia stood trial for the murder- Sharlene's past as a prostitue, Iris is the chief of Bennett Publishing, Derek was revealed to be Felicia's stalker because he was afraid that she would remember that he murdered her dad Noah Grady.     All of this aired just before AW's 25th Anniversary and the real life passing of Douglass Watson (Mac) which would alter the show.  

It would have been interesting to see what the writers would have done if Mac remained on the show.  Obviously, he and Iris would have eventually reunited, and we probably never would have seen the characters of Paulina and Ken Jordan.

• Members

I think When it was just a diamond it was still her story though.  She created the Cassadines, and may have even created the island.  When it turned into the weather control stuff is what she hated.

She didn’t hate Monty enough to stay away.  I think her two tenures with Monty as EP were the best, even better than the Marland stuff I’ve seen.  She did a lot of payoff of his ideas during his first tenure though.  I just think she’s was an amazing soap writer.

Archived