Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've said this before, but it's worth repeating: Ronan Farrow will win the Pulitzer. He set the ball rolling, and hopefully his work was a catalyst in true victims of sexual abuse - male and female, famous and non-famous - reaching out for help. It's people like Lena Dunham who undermine what this movement is truly supposed to be about.

• Members

Have we discussed already the French actors who have denounced the #metoo/#timesup movement?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/movies/catherine-deneuve-and-others-denounce-the-metoo-movement.html

On the one hand, I understand their concerns about all the swirling accusations of sexual harassment in turn fostering an atmosphere of fear and repression both online and in the workplaces.  But, OTOH, I think we're talking about (and I think the victims who have made the allegations are talking about) more than just stolen kisses and clumsy come-ons.  There's a fine line between flirtation and harassment, but in most cases, I trust those victims to know the difference.

Edited by Khan

• Members

To be blunt, they can all go f*ck themselves. 

Yeah, I have a hard time believing any of these people around him didn't know about the rumors.  His name came up continually on Blind Gossip whenever there was a blind item about casting couches or the like.  I didn't even really know who he was, but I knew that his name was out there as an abuser.

• Members

My mom is French and I discussed this with her. She is a lady of a certain age and grew up in a different time... a time when French women were expected to be flirtatious and the 'object of men's affections,' to quote her words. I noticed that a lot of the French actors who published that denunciation are in that similar age group. That includes Catherine Deneuve, an actress who was celebrated for her looks for decades, who lived the swinging sixties lifestyle a la française... but who is now a bit older, losing some of the attendant male attention that comes with those looks. These people have a different mentality, and are a little brainwashed from decades being objectified, for lack of a better word. They also have no clue what it means to take the subway late at night as a woman on your own, etc... they live in a protected bubble where people defer to them automatically.

It's really hard talking to my mom about these things because she is all "I support #MeToo but sometimes these girls go too far and want to hate all men!" It's a myopic, simplistic view. But Frenchies my own age group and younger, both women and men, are pretty furious about this denunciation. They think it makes the French look like idiots, and that the actors who signed it have no clue what goes on in the real world. Lots of women in France have to fight back against harassment every day, whether its going to work on the metro in a skirt and getting felt up or receiving unwelcome comments, or some guy in the office being too friendly and never taking no for an answer. It's really frustrating that these so-called artistes/celebs have set the women's movement back, acting like they speak for the nation's women (many of whom were hoping #MeToo would take off over there and trigger some positive change).

Edited by Cat

• Members

I think she might have known, she probably heard rumblings, I don't think it makes it her responsibility, cause for all she and others might have known at the time, could have been just rumors and they had no proof of anything

Not excusing HW, just saying this is how I think she and others might have seen this