Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Every now and then, I'm reminded that John Landis directed Coming To America and other movies but only last week when this news started to break open publicly, did I read about people suggesting that the elder Landis was known to bully people on set.  I wish I hadn't looked at Wikipedia because I started to read about those horrific deaths on the set of the Twilight Zone movie, of which I vaguely remember watching some E! Channel docu-show about Hollywood's most horrific incidents but this time around, reading about it in clearer detail, it made me shudder.  Landis never seemed to take full ownership of the horrific events that happened on that set. 

• Members

I wish I hadn't looked at those pictures that were taken just moments before.  When the pilot states that he was following orders despite the conditions, the fault really does lie with Landis who was insistent on the helicopter pilot flying closer to the action, which was where the actors were.  Also, if it hadn't been for his skirting child labor rules, those two kids would not have even been on set that day.  Just horrid!

Has his reputation actually impaired his ability to work as a director or a producer?  Despite social media comments, it just seems like he's still been able to have a career in the industry and his connections seem to have allowed his terrible son to carve out a place in the industry--at least up to now.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

That's not even the whole alleged story of what went down with that last take.

On a side note: IIRC Frank Marshall, Spielberg's longtime producer, allegedly hired the kids under the table to work nights (TZ was a Spielberg co-production with several others). After the accident he apparently fled town for awhile.

Landis had a rough few years, but got to make Coming to America, etc. near the end of the '80s, where he feuded with Eddie Murphy. His career really flagged for good in the '90s, but his rep as a legend (well earned in some respects) has not disappeared.

Edited by Vee

• Members

There are two people missing here, for two very different reasons. 

(also it's time to note that Savannah Guthrie's voice, no matter how much NBC pushes her, still sounds like she lost out on an audition for Sweet Valley High)