Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Michael Jackson was a one of a kind talent whose music I still adore. He had a very, very sad life. But for decades I've never doubted he was a sexual predator, and nothing in his past could excuse that. He's had this coming since the day he died and a lot of the country just decided to forget.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I'm wary of how much of the coverage of this documentary is devoted to:

- people who feel the need to tell us in great detail how they no longer love Michael Jackson music and how sad and wrong it was that they ever loved Michael Jackson music, waiting for the inevitable "oh poor you" tummy rub of validation. 

- people who are getting their "profound writer" britches on by desperately trying to tell us that no one in the past cared and now do Because Things Have Changed. 

Anyone who was not in a coma from 1993 on would know that many people did care. It was a part of national conversation for years. Day in and day out of trashy interviews in tabloids and on Hard Copy, Inside Edition, A Current Affair, American Journal, and all the rest. I did not listen to any of his music for many years because of the allegations. I do think some of them are likely true (from what I've heard about the recent ones I'm not too sure on that front), but unfortunately almost everything about the many decades of allegations has had the whiff of being compromised from the start, to the point where it is very difficult to make any real guess about what happened. 

The only reason talk eventually quieted is because he became much less high-profile, he went on trial and was acquitted, and he died. 

Forcing some kind of "moment of reckoning" for a man who has been dead for nearly a decade and who was already picked over for the last 30 years of his life is a road to nowhere, unless you exist solely to show everyone how woke and special you are, which is what clickbait journalism often consists of these days. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I believe the two featured victims. I think some of the more self-important 'woke' coverage struggles to discuss this well, especially when a lot of cultural critics tried to sweep this all under the rug a decade ago and simply re-brand Michael Jackson as the barrier-breaking musical legend with no other sins, but the doc seems extremely legit. As the two men say in the doc they were brainwashed to (as sick as it sounds) 'fall in love' with him - that made untangling themselves from his hold take decades.

• Members

I was kind of surprised Ian said anything because I thought he was sort of friendly with Singer. 

Speaking of surprise, I'm also a bit surprised Oprah has gotten so involved in the Michael Jackson stuff, especially after her credibility has taken a hit in the last decade. I think this is one of those cases where a celebrity taking part ends up hurting more than helping.

• Members

There were rumblings that Ian was bracing himself for his own allegations, which he alluded to in his interview. That Apt Pupil set was super sketchy. (And, of course, he’s more than been around the block, as Rupert Everett can attest.)

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

SMILF has been cancelled at Showtime due to Frankie Shaw’s misconduct allegations. (Not sexual harassment in the sense we normally see, but one of the allegations was that she reportedly demanded that video monitors be turned on during a closed-set sex scene, which was in breach of an actress’s contract.)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/smilf-canceled-by-showtime-probe-creator-frankie-shaws-alleged-misconduct-1177459

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

As I expected, Bryan Singer has been quietly dropped from what was intended to be his next project - this is a tidbit dropped in the second piece below. But that's just the tip of the iceberg of this truly insane story involving several Hollywood creeps and a very ambitious would-be starlet who sounds terrifying. (Her latest mark: beloved British horror director Neil Marshall)

Edited by Vee