January 30 - February 3, 2017: GH Up For The Week

Toups

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For about a month now, I've been saying that although SS is good at things that I consider the 'micro' like quietly rebuilding well known (and in Y&R's case, badly damaged) characters and writing some good scenes, that does not make for compelling soap.

To have a good soap, you also need the 'macro'- consisting of strong plot advanced by well-constructed stories. SS needed at least 2 really good storylines, and she doesn't have them.  

Many people think it unfair to expect this from her so early in her tenure but there should be high expectations of any writer with the amount of years she has under her belt, combined with the fact that this is not her first stint writing for Y&R.

In any case, at this point, she's definitely had enough time to have two strong (gosh, at least one) storylines launched and running.

I know our standards are lower these days but I don't think any of this is unreasonable.

• Members

Like Pratt or not, but he came in swinging. Yes, a plane crash, a storm, fire, locust, the plague, etc in on week is too much but he came in with "may I have your attention, please"?!  Sally and her weekly "meaningful" conversations with these dull characters is boring and shameful. She can fix the characters and have gripping stories going simultaneously. 

I just can't with the "the show was so damaged" anymore. That can't be an excuse for Sally's shortcomings!  We may have to just admit she doesn't know what she's doing. 

• Members

I'd rather neither, TBH. Pratt was a hack too. 

Soaps, at this point can't draw talent. They're a damaged brand, they've been treated unkindly by networks but they've also made some terrible choices.

Unless they can cryogenically bring back some of the master soap writers, I don't see how any of these shows resemble a complete continuing drama with storylines that each have a decent beginning, middle and end.

No one who has written for these shows in the last decade appears to know how to write good stories and no talented writers who care about their career would write for an American daytime soap.

• Members

Sweeps months(and the ratings therein) set what the prices for an ad spot are.  Higher rating during these specific months, mean more money for the show/network.   So I am sure they still care.   Now whether they can make more compelling stories during these months, to bring in more viewers, to generate more income, when they have such trouble doing it year round is another story. 

• Errol unpinned this topic

Archived