How much time do we give Sally Sussman before we ask for her firing?

• Members

I'm just going to echo, while the show may not be the most exciting day to day, (which was very natural for Bill Bell's Y&R back then too) I'd rather see a show, where I have trust that the writers are actually bringing up history, that did play out onscreen, as opposed to the other regimes retconning the hell out of this soap.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm loving Y&R now. I like that the show has slowed down, and that Sally is investing in small scenes that explore character over plot. I want to really know these legacy characters again, their history and what they're about now. I've had it with network executives thinking audiences want to watch one explosion after another, or someone pulling a gun on someone, without understanding what motivates the character. (GH is a perfect example. Overhyped drama on a daily basis with artificial moments of jeopardy that happen so frequently no one cares.) Not that everything on Y&R these days is golden. The character of Victoria is a shadow of her former self, as is often mentioned on this board. I think the only remedy is recasting, but I doubt that will happen. Billy, too, is miscast. Nothing in the current reincarnation is vaguely who Billy Abbott was when he was first introduced years ago. Overall, though, Y&R feels more like itself than it has in ages, and that's why I'm tuning back in after years of very long stretches when I couldn't tolerate the show. Y&R has always been a very different soap; it's DNA is different from all the others. If a head writer, EP or network exec understands that, then the show will flourish. Personally, I think JFP was the worst thing to happen to Y&R, as was CP. I'm very thankful they're long gone (please, no other network rehire JFP; she's ruined enough daytime shows). 

A spot on assessment, IMO. Couldn't agree more.

I'm pretty sure Dena is washed up as far as soaps go. Also, that you would suggest her as head writer for Y&R shows how little you understand the show Bill Bell created and nurtured. JFP certainly didn't understand it, nor did CP. 

• Members

Your last comment about Dena....THANK YOU. She IS washed up....and after the clusterfuck she's made of Days on the 3 occasions she was HW, not to mention OLTL.....it would be a spit in BB's face and memory to have that woman head write Y&R

• Members

I don't give a [!@#$%^&*] there's no real story going on. If it's still like this in a few months, then we'll talk. What I do appreciate is, for the first time in over a decade, (some) characters are acting more human and the unrelenting nastiness is gone. Before, the show would leave me feeling as if all the characters were scum.

• Members

Give it time, it takes alot of time to fix a show that is so badly damaged to it's core. That's not something that happens overnight.

People say bad writing is what's killing soaps, yeah partly, but it's stuff like this that is as well. It's not going to be fixed in one day/week/month.

Sure maybe she can't fix every single that is wrong with the show, but I'd say in comparison to GH/Days/BB she's doing a good job.

• Members

Are you looking for the old Y&R, or a watchable show?

The old Y&R is gone. 

SSM is a grindingly mediocre writer with moments of decency, and that can lead to watchable material (other than the Vivian tooth implant story I thought her DAYS was watchable enough), so that will be the best you get, if that's your taste. If not, then you're probably better off quitting. 

Archived