Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Some people like screaming at walls.

Hillary does not need a goddamn baby.

I have no idea why they did this amnesia plot with Devon if they were gonna be in the same place two weeks later. What is this, Passions?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Passions. I'm cackling!

The only point for Devon's accident was so Hilary could weep at his bedside to show she genuinely loves him 

The only reason Devon had amnesia is so we can see that Devon wanted this baby anyway and that hilary ain't "trapping" him. 

The reason for this baby is so the audience can stop wondering "when her part in the story will be over" and waiting for the show to "get rid of her".   Well, at least I think that's reason. What else is there?

I hope they don't kill him. Not cause I want a recast but cause I don't want Sharon blamed. 

• Members

I've mainly liked the writing so far; there's still quite a lot of damage to repair. The one thing I can't understand- if you've been systematically destroying Sharon's character for years, why once again put the blame on her? That part is lazy. But maybe we're wrong.

• Members

There was no point in delaying Devon remembering. It should have happened when he woke up at the hospital. Instead, its was so anti-climatic afterwards....

Not really....the show is slow yet has no stories or stories that are horrible. Dylan's story sucks....so far Lauren's story sucks and so does Devon and Hillary's.

• Members

They might play it differently with everyone rallying around her instead of demonizing her. 

I did think Devon remembering would be done on a bigger way. I was surprised it was done on a random Friday (not sweeps) and in such a lackluster manner with Mariah telling him in general conversation.  I get them having mariah be the one to tell it to push this dumb rivalry that doesn't even work imo, but it wasn't even dramatic. The show could have done better. 

Their break up scenes were good IMO. I liked the quiet storm tone. It worked. 

• Members

Random question: where is sexual tension on this show?

Of course there's none when it comes to Michael & Lauren or Kevin & Chloe. They come across as BFFs. 

Phyllis used to be so seductive in the past IMHO. Now she comes across so hard.

I remember in the past, Nick/Phyllis/Sharon/Brad/Victoria just oozed sexuality even with AH in the role. I'm asking this because sex/romance was such a key factor in this show's success.

• Members

Since I'm avoiding TV, news, social media because I can't stomach this inauguration, I've got time on my hands to think. If the show wants to redeem Hilary then they should give her a stalker/hacker. It's timely since she's a media personality and we haven't had that story in a very long time. 

Story idea:  Hilary starts getting flowers and fan mail from anow obsessive fan. At first she thinks it sweet. Then they Cross the line by breaking into her house. Cops get pulled in. Reveal the stalker only when they are caught. The show has just enough new random characters to pull this off. 

• Members

I was thinking that Tanned Lily filled in the two black next generation kids. But her kids not fully black. So, basically Devon would have the black kid. Then again Devon isn't fully black, who knows how they play the limited of black kids going to be on the show.

• Members

I think they're doing a great job repairing Sharon while staying true to her character. There is no way in hell she would've listened and let Dylan go off on a mysterious and dangerous assignment without trying to contact him. That is very her and not damaging to her character IMO. That's a human reaction and almost any of the characters would've reacted like that. 

One thing I'm curious about is Victor and Nikki's story. Right now you can see the canvas being positioned for their stories to align and I'm curious why Victor is acting the way he is and what's next. I expect this and more of the actually stories to finally kick in for February sweeps. From spoilers you see that is coming for a couple of the other characters. 

• Members

Exactly you are making my point. Neil is no longer needed for these fatherly things in regards to Devon.

I said Neil was  "trying to get him set up in business" not set up in a business of his own. Neil was getting Devon set up in the business of Jabot where he had connections. If the Tucker thing never happened I'm sure we would have seen Devon working at Newman too. There's nothing wrong with encouraging your kids to go into a solid career rather than something risky, like music or an actor, since it's hard to make a living in those.  But now that Devon is wealthy he can do like the rest of the trust fund babies, they're free to do whatever they want. 

• Members

Meanwhile, we just saw Neil give Devon advice about marriage. It was weird but he did it. Devon having a few coins does not make him omniscient. Nor does it eliminate him from needing advice from a man with more life experience. 

So neil's kids should work for Newmans or Abbots because Neil did? Never rise above that because Neil didnt? And this should be so to ensure Neil remains an effectual patriarch as the most powerful person in his family. Hmmm. Seems like a caste system to me. 

• Members

The caste system? Seriously? Neil had no idea Devon would have billions of dollars rain down on him. Neil was preparing Devon for an executive positions that would pay very well down the line. And as I said he's not doing that anymore.

The way to keep Neil as patriarch would have been to leave Devon the money in a trust which Neil would manage. It would protect Devon's fortune in case of a con man or divorce. It's very common and it's something Kay would really do. Normal people, not just not wealthy people, do this to protect their offspring. But Kay didn't do anything normal in her will with anybody, it didn't make sense, and it wasn't like her at all. I wish Sally would remedy that tragedy and find the Katherine's REAL Will.

Archived