Dynasty: Discussion Thread

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Unfortunately for Nicollette, it appears they are playing Alexis for laughs and smirks with camp in spades.

None of what the early seasons (2-4) writing of Dynasty did with Alexis and Joan's menacing performance is in this performance, styling, opening line, etc.  

• Members

The tone is all wrong. Joan's Alexis' first scenes, outside of the witness stand, were with Fallon and Steven. The Steven scene, in particular, when she basically tells him that she accepts him and talks about his childhood, is a beautiful scene and Joan emits a warmth and charm that makes Alexis' cunning in the following episodes effectively jarring. You see the two faces of Alexis. 

By having Nicollette's Alexis burst in full diva, it shows that all of the subtlety Joan imbued Alexis with is gone. 

Josh Schwartz is capable of writing a subtle character: Julie Cooper of The OC had these qualities. But it makes me wonder if it's really about whose playing the part. Melinda Clarke succeeded like Joan succeeded and Joan succeeded because Joan did her own thing.  

• Members

I watched her entrance in last night's episode. And then this promo. Nope. Alexis only in name. 

Nicollette has said in interviews promoting her debut that, although she's known Joan for years, she's never seen her performance as Alexis. It shows. And I wouldn't want to have to live up to it either.

Edited by DaytimeFan