Which soap actor that made it big surprised you?

• Members

I would throw Kim Delaney into the "bigger star" mix. She had NYPD Blue, Army Wives and numerous guest spots. 

I suppose one could throw Melissa Leo in there. She actually has an Oscar to her name.

I wasn't watching when either of them were on; I was younger, but I've seen old eps.

Ripa has charisma in spades, though. It didn't surprise me she made it big. She knows her lane; she stays in it, and has a lot to show for it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lucci and Ripa are by far AMC's biggest success stories. Most people have no idea KP was ever on a soap. I liked MBJ a lot as Reggie and was with the small but vocal contingent that caused a stink when he disappeared to basketball camp and then was never mentioned again. Btw I'm pretty sure Darrin Brooks wears a hairpiece because that mess on his head looks synthetic.

• Members

Exactly.  Stallone might have gotten the Oscar nomination (and I'm sure there are a whole bunch of reasons why that happened), but Michael B. Jordan received great reviews for Creed.  In fact, he just won the National Society of Film Critics for Creed.  Hell, he should be a two-time Oscar nominee for Fruitvale Station and Creed, but that didn't happen.

• Members

Is it really a mystery, though? I mean, really? Considering the fact that 95% of daytime became horrid about 20 years ago and provided its casts with nearly NOTHING to work with, no good writing, no good direction, no good lighting and no good characters & arcs, why is it surprising that those who come off horribly on a daytime show could actually be much better outside of it? Daytime eats its talent alive.

• Members

Marland was writing for the show at the time.  The plots and writing were good.  World Turns was among the best 2 or 3 soaps airing during those years.  The actors on the show were for the most part very strong, and that could have been to Parker's detriment - but talent was coming out of that show to primetime or movies in droves.  There are so many that people probably wouldn't remember - Parker fell flat to me, and I never understood the great success she had afterward. 

Archived