The Central themes/focus of the various shows, Past and Present

• Members

A lot of soaps have a central theme.  ATWT was, from what I interpreted from Irna's bible, it was the importance of a strong family.  AMC's was the brother hood of man.  GL's was 'There is a destiny that makes us brothers....'

My question is: What is the core theme/focus for shows like DOOL, Y&R, AW, SFT, LOL, EON etc. 

If shows like Y&R/DOOL didn't have one how did writers like PFS/Bill Bell, Ann Marcus (?), Kay Alden maintain a steady direction?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Doctors' theme was about the brotherhood of healing. 

Another World was about families and their different class structures and philosophies; however, I feel like the show found it's footing and new identity in focusing on hybrid families and friendships, which other soaps lacked at. 

Young and the Restless was about youthful characters, emphasis of fantasy, and psychological drama. Sadly, it lacks all of those characteristics nowadays. 

As the World Turns always gave me the impression that it was the traditional soap. It was about family and it's many generations. It was about community. The older characters served as the Greek chorus for the older characters and the audience. Towards the end, it lost it's image too. 

I think this might pan out to be a good thread as people will have different interpretations about the shows, and it'll highlight what I keep saying is wrong with daytime. All the soaps are alike and lack identities or attributes that separate them from the rest. None of them play to their personal strengths anymore and just do sh-t for shock value.  

• Members

I think it can be difficult to pin down because so many of the soaps lost their way or changed focus over the years.  

GH seems to me to be the show that was always about the relationships that develop from a career standpoint.  At first, it was the loves and friendships of a group of people associated with the hospital.  In the 1980's, it was around the spy/adventure/police department.

For all the people that wonder why the show doesn't revolve around the Hardy or Webber families, I think it was never meant to.  Steve wasn't married with children when the show started.  He didn't have parents as central figures.  Or siblings.  I think those family dramas can work on the show, but I don't think that is what the show is about.

Days is an example of a show that while it had great success with action/adventure and super couples, I still think of that show as a family oriented show.

Archived