GH: September 2015 Discussion Thread

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have not watched regularly since the Pope Sonny visitation began shortly after the shooting. Watching everyone and their cousin weep and genuflect at Sonny's bedside, with Michael completely reversing himself and all his own evolution as a white-collar Quartermaine boss, turned my stomach. I have patience for Sonny in the right role on this show, but this isn't something I can tolerate. I've watched maybe a day in two weeks - I'm only going to check out the rest of the material with Richard Burgi and Maura, and then I'm off until Genie gets back. When she's gone, I probably am too.

In an odd way, there is one thing Ron got kind of right with the mob even though he clearly had no idea how to write for them - because of his natural disinterest, he was able to introduce some sort of moral debate about Sonny and what he'd done to people over the years. I suspect the whole Avery tug of war would have gone much longer had he not been removed, and I am not at all convinced the current material with Michael completely rolling over for Sonny is all his. That's not to say Ron didn't need to be taken down, because he did. Almost everything he left behind in the last six months was embarrassing, and people trying to blame all his mistakes on Frank or some inexperienced junior exec with no real power at the network (Nathan Varni) have no idea how TV actually works. That being said, the debate about Sonny always ended for Ron when his Plot needed to move, and he had no real interest in fully engaging with the issue or being honest about it any longer than it took him to drop a new story point. Still, it was more interesting than this and what I expect much more of in the coming months - everyone bowing before Sonny's greatness and refocusing the entire show on his great heroism, with all his children and family back in line under his yoke.

Richard Burgi has always played great villains, and it makes some sense for Paul to still be deeply embedded in business like the old Faison cartel, but I think it would be much more interesting if the character had stayed what he apparently was when he first returned - somewhat shady, but still viable for romance with either Tracy or (supposedly planned but scrapped, by Frank no doubt) Laura. Are Burgi and West great together? Yes; like Hornsby, Ava is someone who is, in the end, all about power, and it's good to see at least two honest criminals who know who they are. I just have little patience for watching another round of New Villain #720 who Sonny will fight for a few months and then kill off.

I said this over on PTV a while ago, but if you really wanted to play with real stakes in this mob [!@#$%^&*], you have to take a hard look at what matters. Sonny does not need another kid.

Here's an idea - Have Ava discover Hornsby's real backer: Faison (because we all know Ron planned for it to go back to those people anyway, and the history is there). Ava doesn't like being under Paul's thumb and makes a backstage deal with Faison - she'll kill Sonny Corinthos and take his territory for the supervillains if Faison eliminates Paul for her afterwards. Ava is a snake and this is the kind of [!@#$%^&*] she would do. Ava then goes to Sonny, threatens him, tells him she knows he's only with Carly because he can't have Brenda Barrett. Threatens Brenda and her son and says her new friends have global reach. Sonny decides it's time to take out Ava for good.

Sonny decides to send Carly and baby Avery to the island, then makes plans to bomb the Jerome penthouse, believing Julian and Ava to be in it together. He thinks no one's home but his people blow it up with Kiki inside. Meanwhile, a Corinthos limo takes off for the airport, Ava has her people ambush it on the road. Both the useless Cheetwood twins (Max and Milo) are brutally slain and the limo goes off the road, but unbeknownst to Ava, only Carly and Avery were in it. Carly is alive, but Avery is dead. And all this time, Carly was keeping the secret that she changed Avery's paternity results - she was going to raise her son's child and keep her from Ava Jerome until she felt Morgan was ready to be a father.

That's how you do a real mob story. Both sides do awful things and make horrible mistakes that destroy both sides. And realistically, that's exactly what would happen to that baby.

Archived