Supreme Court Declares Same-Sex Marriage Legal in ALL 50 States

Cheap21

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A part of me wishes it had been done another way, to prevent backlash, but then, there was likely no other way for this to happen.

I think about all the people who died never getting to see a day like today, and I wish they were here. I hope those who are here will do them proud.

It's a day I didn't think I'd see for a long time.

• Members

It can cause negative legal ripple effects in everyday life, as Roe v Wade has done in recent years. Or the Constitutional amendment could pass. That's mostly what I meant. Hopefully it won't cause too strong of a backlash. I'm trying to ignore the huffing and puffing from the far right Presidential candidates, since the only one of those who has a shot anyway is googly-eyed Scott Walker.

• Members

That's tomorrow's problem. That's not to say this isn't a right we will have to continue to uphold and defend, but we do it for abortion and we can do it for this. Just like we've done with every major civil right advance we've fought for and won for the better part of a century.

The fact is that gay marriage, like all those other strides forward, is now the law of the land, and every generation after ours will never have to consider it anything but a living reality. That is incredible. And I love ya, Carl, but I think you're looking at entirely the wrong things if you make it all about how someone else will react. This isn't the entertainment industry - it's worth more than asking what Twitter and Facebook will think. Just let it be.

• Members

I don't think we disagree, I just think it's going to have a lot of backlash that will affect people who are already struggling. Hopefully they will get help from local groups or organizations. I just hate seeing what will likely happen to those in far right-led states if they become scapegoats, as has happened with Roe v Wade.

Anyway, at least we got to see Clarence Thomas in action, which is always something to treasure...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/06/26/clarence_thomas_same_sex_marriage_dissent_slaves_did_not_lose_their_dignity.html

Archived