Michael Logan interview with Pratt and JFP

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Greg Rikaart recently gave an interview stating that he wants his character, Kevin, to be gay. What are the chances of that happening? There's a rabid camp of fans who want Kevin to get it on with Detective Harding.

Phelps: Really?

Yep, Harding and Fisher. Their squish name is Harder.
Phelps: I never heard that before. I don't go online.
Pratt: With the right circumstance and right characterit could be Kevin or someone elseI would love to tell that story. I've told a gay storyline on every show I've ever been on, and it's odd that there isn't a gay relationship on Y&R.
Phelps: It would need to feel fresh and not just a box we check, just because that's what people expect. It needs to be more than that. It needs to be about characters the audience cares about. You can't do a gay storyline just for the sake of it.

Yet they do stories all the time about people we don't care about…ugh…what an awful pair.

But Y&R is the only soap without LGBTQ characters and the show's track record is abysmal. The two or three gay characters that have popped up over the years have quickly vanished. Is there fear at the network that mainstream America—Y&R's core audience and the people who keep it No. 1—just can't handle a gay story?
Pratt: We shouldn't do a gay storyline because we're the only ones who don't have one. I would look for the story that's never been done. Lord knows, I did that on All My Children with a lesbian story that got me in nothing but trouble with everybody. But it was a fun story. [Laughs] And it sure hadn't been done before. I can't imagine there's a storyline—be it gay, lesbian or transgender—that wouldn't be acceptable on a soap at this network. Or anywhere else. I have never encountered a situation on any show where they say, "You cannot tell that kind of story" or "We don't do that on this show." Maybe years and years ago that happened but not now. And, even if there was that pressure, I have to be in charge of the storytelling. I can't be the one in charge of being politically correct. I leave that to others and then, unfortunately, they'll have to deal with me. My job is to create the storylines that will keep this show successful and keep it number one. My job is to never let another show beat us.

Yet they can do stories about two Jacks…and two Mariah's…and two Nikki's and two…well you get my point..

• Members

"Their squish name is Harder"

Really?

Logan really has less than no standards these days. How embarrassing to talk to TPTB, even if they're hacks, about [!@#$%^&*] "squish names" - that inane one in particular. What a great image of fans that sends.

• Members

Yeah, those comments about doing a gay story was WTF. A gay story has to feel fresh, but doing the 10th million doppelganger story in your first few months is? And JFP's comment of "It needs to be about a character the audience cares about." yet, wasn't the rumor MAB was going to make Noah gay, but after she got the the boot and when JFP came in, she canceled it?

• Members

There were gay Noah rumors for years. Given how homophobic MAB's tenure was I don't really buy anything.

The whole "it has to matter" is basically codeword for, "We're never doing it." It's a polite way of saying it. Which is fine, as I don't want to see any gay stories on this show anyway, but I wish they'd just come out and say it, especially since JFP has never done any gay stories on her soaps, aside from a 5-minute Lucas thing on GH.

• Members

Exactly…Dylan being JFP pet….he and Morrow put me to sleep….no talent at all…yet there he is on screen…its Jason 2.0…….Abby was a bitch and now trying to be nicey…can't stand either version…Sage….blah..a newbie no one cares about….Joe and Avery are hit and miss with me…..Avery should be a more supporting character than a lead with her own story with Dylan and Joe.

• Members

Pratt: We shouldn't do a gay storyline because we're the only ones who don't have one. I would look for the story that's never been done. Lord knows, I did that on All My Children with a lesbian story that got me in nothing but trouble with everybody. But it was a fun story. [Laughs]

That's because your hack ass take on it was completely f-cked up. It was offensive, pure garbage that pushed one of the shows most iconic actresses/character away. WTF??? i can't w/this delusional creep

• Members

It was my favorite part of the interview. She said Avery and Dylan should have been a bigger deal and still have promise, but not together at this time. That is the most honest answer about her style as EP since she arrived at OLTL. She thinks it should be working, even if it doesn't and can't move away from what she thinks, so viewers are stuck with it. Even though nobody is responding to it.

These people learned under Gloria Monty at GH. Who had plenty of faults. But she could see what was working and what wasn't and make a course correction without ego about it (during her first run. Second not so much). She was also old school enough as a producer that if gold appeared, she capitalized on it. She didn't push it aside because it interfered with a story that was not working but she liked.

I watch GL clips on YouTube and can't believe this is the same woman that produced that. Until I get to the last year or so of her run, then it's the JFP I have experienced since OLTL.

• Members

Oh and Pratt? He is one of the great hacks of all time. Guza has talent as a writer because he can play and write to the emotion of a character. I don't enjoy his work anymore, but he has talent. Pratt is just trashy.

Pratt writes flash and shock and there is nothing holding it up.

• Members

This entire post is great. Regarding the part in bold, I'd give her a B the first couple of years she was at GL. The show started an uptick ~1989 and only got better when Curlee & Co. took over writing in 90.

It makes me wonder if she was able to see what was started under Calhoun and decided not to mess with it too much when she showed up in 91. Then the writers changed (93?), she was left to her own devices for 2 years and the show went way downhill.

Archived