Michael Logan interview with Pratt and JFP

• Members

This part one of the interview. This part doesn't contain any spoilers, but sounds like part two might, so that's why I put it in this thread.

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/1674/young-and-the-restless-jill-farren-phelps-chuck-pratt-interview-part-1/

Part 2:

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/1748/young-and-the-restless-jill-farren-phelps-chuck-pratt-interview-part-2/

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So how did you see this job? What was your mandate from the network?

Pratt: To wake up the sleeping giant.
Phelps: You say that we're controversial and—though I don't mean this in a self-congratulatory way—being controversial involves a certain amount of bravery. When Chuck and I were together on Santa Barbara, there weren't any rules. There was so much freedom and excitement in nothaving rules. I've done more soaps than most people in this business and I've broken a lot of those so-called rules over the years and, on occasion, it has resulted in some very public misfires. You go off on a tangent the audience doesn't like and you get branded with that for the rest of your life.

And the show was in the toilet in the ratings when they were EP and HW…..some things never change.

Both are full of sh!t!!

• Members

Yeah, and he's said it before! He has made it very, very clear that he doesn't give a frack what the audience thinks.

At least he's consistent: He's here to do with Y&R whatever he wants, 'legacy' and 'history' and 'Bill Bell' be damned.

Only, Bill Bell's legacy has been done by somebody other, bitches. It has been replicated successfully. Her name is Kay Alden and you turned her down.

• Members

Ha…killing Maureen might have been great ratings wise but at the end it destroyed the show. JFP's GL was boring as hell. I view some of the episodes on the DVD collection that was released and JFP characters were dull as dirt. I forget who was writing at the time.

• Members

Yeah, they both totally missed why Logan asked them about Bill Bell. People don't want them to copy Bill Bell (because you can't), but you can tell new stories and take chances while keeping the look, tone, and feel of the show Bill Bell created alive. Like you said, Kay Alden, hell even Brad Bell (when he's good) his B&B still feels like a Bell show.

Pratt: You can feel the spirit of a Bill Bell show but, within that, there is a lot of room to shake it up.

No Pratt, any spirit of Bill Bell left in the show, you expunged.

• Members

Omg lol JFP and Pratt have such huge egos. Jill doesn't seem to give a crap if ffans hate her or vice versa. They have ratings and emmys lol. Biggest egos period lol. Jill once gave an interview in late 90s on OLTL and said, " An angry fan is an invested one".

• Members

Exactly right. I think, for all his faults, Logan may have been trying to drop a hint. Only, I don't think they missed why Logan asked the question. I am sure they know what they're doing -- they know they could respect the show's look, tone and feel and still try new things. They just don't want to. Being unable to replicate Bell's work is a cheap, tacky, false excuse to explain why they're literally dragging the show through the mud.

Archived