B&B - March 2015 Discussion thread

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Now this is bad writing at its best….

The problem with all this is that her son was out of control and instead of getting him help she defended his actions. Then she proceeded to continue its about me campaign and I have no male now that I am back so I will drink……Brooke is no Sue Ellen Ewing.

• Members

And yes her drinking was used to get Deacon and Brooke together again…so that Quinn can go off he deep end…..it would work if the Brooke drinking didn't come out of left field and if I gave any two cents about Brooke…hell I don't even like Deacon...

• Members

Watching yesterday's ep. (Sorry. I'm always going to be a day behind since I watch online during my lunch hour.)

I'd almost forgotten how good JY is at playing a smarmy, clueless, entitled punk.

I see now what people were complaining about. Rick's going on and on about Maya's beauty and femininity was just clunky writing. I feel like you can tell the parts of dialog that were worked on with a consultant from the rest. Maya showing Nicole how all the questions trans people get can be hurtful felt real. Rick being a giant swinging dick felt like pure cheesy soap.

• Members

You'd think by now, he'd be good at it. The only time I've ever felt anything was the Xmas Eve episode at the shelter, but we know it was really the actors and not the characters there, so it wasn't about the writing. That stuff works because it was real and they let people share their stories and they were so happy that someone wants to hear it.

It's also weird that the campiest, smarmiest (all the inbreeding) and most superficial soap tries to do this. It's like Y&R trying to do murder and intrigue - it's rarely worked - it's just not in the show's canon.

• Members

The thing is as a woman, we get talked about like this all day everyday, in the media and in everyday life. It's about the correlation, on one end you have people (Rick, Nicole) talking about what "makes" a woman, while Maya is talking about what a woman is, and that is more than the physical.

It may seem obvious, cause we know the secret, but it's real in the sense people like to focus on how the outside makes a woman. If we didn't know the secret, I honestly think we wouldn't think twice about the way he talks. He has done it for months. And the media does it everyday.

I don't take it as plot device, but rather a build up to when they have that talk. And I like that they are keeping Maya grounded in reality rather melodramatics and scene chewing, that may be soapy but it's not realistic.

I read Sara Bibel's article about how her father transitioned into a female,and she felt the scenes did it justice. And isn't that what's important, someone with REAL life experience seeing themself in the scene and relating to it, not those wanting a soapy payoff?

• Members

I'm catching up on three months of B&B to get to Maya's reveal. I've gone from January to now the first week of March. I definitely see what people mean about the show being uneven. After an amazing 2014, this was so hit or miss. Steffy's return was pretty flawless. She looked amazing and I liked how she was used although I think unless she's there full time they can't properly utilize her. Beyond that, nothing is really working. Hope is gone and good on them for not recasting. I like that they will wait and either give the previous performer a chance to come back, or wait to properly recast. With that said, Wyatt's tired ass and Quinn and Deacon need to go as well. They have already served their purpose and they're draggin the show down at this point. Use that to filter back in characters like Dayzee, Thomas, Thorne and Taylor (not to mention Maya's parents) who would better serve the current stories. Then once they serve their purpose, you can rotate them out. B&B has a huge universe and they need to utilize that. People like Kristen and Felicia should be properly rotated in and out as well.

Since I haven't quite gotten to the meat of Maya's story, I'll mention this horrible Brooke storyline. Why is it so difficult for them to write for Brooke? It's not rocket science. This alcoholism storyline and Brooke loosing her grip on men could've been fascinating, but it feels like it was thrown together. I would've done a similar story to when Kay Alden brought all of Victor's previous lovers back and send Brooke on a tour of her previous men and show them all either uninterested or preoccupied with new lovers (the first stop obviously being Thorne) and THEN once she strikes out with everyone you can slowly have her start to drink and go from there. This doesn't feel like a midlife crisis, it just is stupid. I don't blame Katherine Kelly Lang on her performances either because the writing is so flat. Not to mention she doesn't have any chemistry with Deacon or Quinn at this point. I think she is worthy of a quest to find a good storyline. She has done a lot for B&B and has sat on the sidelines supporting Hope and then as a placeholder with Bill in that horrible storyline. They need to focus and hire a NEW love interest for Brooke. If not, put her with Eric in a big splashy wedding. Why do they waste him when you have Pam, Brooke and Donna on canvas? Instead of having Pam and Donna around doing nothing, marry them off to Eric.

• Members

I wouldnt say the show had an amazing 2014. It had an amazing Fall but it was an uneven hot mess prior when hte main focus was on Hope's vagina. The aftermath of Ridge's accident and Brooke's departure really kicked off what was an amazing set of months. IA that the Fullers and Deacon are useless and serve no purpose especially with Hope gone. They dont work and should be phased off in favor of bringing others back. (I like your suggestions)

Brooke feels so isolated and I guess that makes sense given the nature of her story, but man is it a mess. Its unrealistic for someone to be an alcoholic that quick.They should have implied that she's been drinking since she left and the stuff she faced when she came back only made it worse. I thought she worked with Bill and they shouldnt have ended that and put him in a dead end marriage with Katie with no story to go along with that

• Members

Who said a payoff?? This is not a story about a payoff? I want to be emotionally involved in this story and its not happening. There is a casting for a transgender actress/actor to appear in April. I am wondering if this story was planned even later than Christmas time. The actors for this story should have been cast a while back.

Archived