Unintentionally frightening TV moments

DRW50

• Members

This commercial frightens me for reasons I don't quite get - the parking lot of refrigerators, the doors opening themselves and the refrigerator with no back, etc. Wandering into the near-empty store. It's like a dream.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Years ago on Sesame Street, there was an episode where all of these helium balloons appeared out of nowhere and hovered along empty SS while the theme from 2001: Space Odyssey played. Incredibly creepy.

When little people wear costumes to portray famous puppets for full body shots, like Charlie McCarthy and Alf.

The classic HBO theme music.

• Members

For years Fox 5 has said "It's 10 pm. Do you know where your children are?" For some reason, when I was a kid, just hearing that creeped me out. To my kiddie mind, it was like something bad is going to happen to you if you're out past 10 pm. Granted, there is validity to the idea but it just sounded so ominous and scary to me.

• Members

Some of those ending logos to classic TV shows like that screeching Paramount logo nicknamed the closet killer. You will see it on the ending of 1969 season 1 Brady Bunch episodes. The Viacom one was creepy as well.

Those buzzing "This is a test" emergency warnings.

Some old company intros on old VHS tapes. Like Vestron Video, Thorn EMI etc...

• Members

I'm sorry, that 7/11 commercial was hilarious to me, I busted out laughing when I saw the refrigerators, because that was so corny. I can see how some people might find it odd, though.

It wasn't a commercial, but the logo for Vin Di Bona commercials used to scare the crap out of me. It's still a little creepy to me, but much less so.

Archived