The Young and the Restless: December 2014 Thread

• Members

Now I am really starting to hate Michelle Stafford. She's been awful at GH very over the top and the worst acting I have ever seen her do. Yet all this pimping and ass kissing is sickening. Logan obviously didn't see an amazing performance I saw on Thursday. Gina is not mimicking Michelle she is making the role her own. She's colder, harsher and meaner than Michelle's Phyllis.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, the love potion stuff strikes me as a rejected episode from Bewitched or something. I like the corporate espionage aspect but they could have just used a regular cosmetic item with amazing attributes that Newman is dying to get the formula of (maybe one product that intuitively adjusts itself to a person's skin and repairs any flaw?).

The way this story is playing out, Victor is giving me Sally Spectra vibes for some reason.

I don't know why.

There was a character on ATWT named Sage. Now I wonder who was responsible for saddling that poor little girl with that name?unsure.png

With the exception of that twisted mouth thing she does, I think GT is doing a fine job in the role. I think she is more nuanced in her performance than MS. In fact, I think both JH and GT are kind of a breath of fresh air compared to the previous actors and so far, there seems to be no baggage or behind the scenes hystrionics. At the very least, it must be freeing for the writers.

Posting is bananas today. I've got double and triple posts going on in this thread which I've had to delete.

• Members

I agree with those that say Phyllis is now harder and colder than she was pre-coma. But SHE"S SUPPOSED TO BE! She's pissed off that her rival "threw" her down a flight of stairs after tampering with her daughter's paternity and taking her away from her fiance, who sold her things and took up with another woman. That's the story. Not a lot of room for softness and warmth there although I did think she was quite touching as she learned about Katherine's death, Delia's accident, and Neil's blindness.

I have always seen MS as a Soap Actress. There is a breed of actor that thrives in the emotional, over-the-top soap world. They're very good in their big, brassy, diva-sized roles but sometimes annoy (me) with their broad, outsized, scenery-chewing acting styles. I would put MS in this category along with Kim Zimmer, Robin Strasser, Susan Lucci, Sarah Brown, among many others. These are all fine actresses (with the Emmys to prove it). But there's another breed of actor that is more subtle and, IMO, shows more range: Nancy Lee Grahn, Hillary B. Smith, Beverlee McKInsey, et al. These actresses can crank up the hysterics but can reign it in. They don't turn on the tears in every emotional scene but rely on their voices and expressions, more subtle cues, to convey pain and anger. I put GT in this category, which I happen to prefer. I marvel at the way GT's Phyllis runs the gamut of emotions almost every day and has never made me want her to reign it in. Sorry, Logan, but Gina's a keeper.

• Members

^^ I like your take on that, red.

Just finished reading this week's SOD. Chuck Pratt is interviewed for the Adam/Chelsea stuff with the "head writer" (and EP?) label, but his stories aren't airing yet, right? Is going to share EP duties will Jill? From what I've heard about him, particularly AMC, he's scary. Has he ever had a successful stint as a HW?

I like your idea about the cosmetic. Lol@Victor.

There is something about both of those recasts, and I'm finding both of them utterly engaging and watchable.

• Members

Everything I've read has suggested that Pratt will be EP in title only (he's a big prime-time guy, you know) and that JFP will still be running the show. I don't think she'd have it any other way. Plus, she and Pratt get along well and have a history that dates back to early-80s GH. I think their relationship will be harmonious. But will it be fruitful?

• Members

I will also say that Gina seems very grateful and she's focused on her acting. She said she loves the cast but she has a life in new jersey where she commutes to see her husband who is not in the biz. Her focus is on the acting how to make it better. She's not kissing ass and pimping herself. Michelle has Cartini and Logan pimping her non stop saying she is a goddess and then on top of that she's pimping her Web show and using Frank to even direct and pimp it. The woman loves to be in limelight. She should focus on her acting a lot more. Logan is being unfair to Gina just because she has a different take on the part. I am sure she didn't want to mimic Michelle.

• Members

I've watched some of MS on GH and I just CAN'T STAND it!! Granted, a lot of it is her stupid character....but MS isn't doing the character any favors! Her "pairings" with ME and RH don't help as I also can't stand either of those two. Needless to say, I only tune in occasionally and then remember why I don't more often. tongue.png

Adam and Phyllis are two of the top reasons I'm tuning in to Y&R everyday these days too. They are such a step up from most of the cast on there. (Plus, I'm enjoying Ashley being back as well)

• Members

I also only watched Roger in the nineties (though I have some tapes of his Adam Malik stuff and his reveal at Blake's wedding), but what makes him different from the othervrapists/psychos mentioned is that while he had front burner stories you didn't get the sense that the writers were twisting themselves into pretzels trying to make us love and forgive and worship this guy. He never ever stopped being a pariah no matter who loved and embraced him at whatever point. To see the way writers have jumped through hoops putting on the Roger Howarth show for the last twenty years is just sickening. As the kids say, "You doin' too much."

• Members

Ugh my poor Paul stuck with the bug and a baby bug :( Free PAUL

I love JH as Adam and GT I live for that woman seriously. I never saw her on GL just OLTL and wow she's come a long way as an actress.

Kelly Sullivan at least isn't annoying as she was on GH and she's toned down the scenery chewing. It could be JH making her tolerable though.

Archived