Y&R: October 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

Great idea. Instead of Nick owning a damn bar, it would have made far more sense for Noah to own the bar and shun Newman like Nick tried to do with the coffeehouse. But noooo. They had to give it to nick. And his frat boy routine is starting to look like an aging man trying to be cool and hip. Am I the only one getting that vibe?

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The problem is not that Y&R is focused on "mature leads." The canvas is overrun with random people, most of whom are badly acted and DEFINITELY badly written/conceived. The show has tried to move on from the veterans but it can't because it has almost nothing to move on to. Besides, the Y&R fans are still (in part) determined to have their vets.

• Members
That was a term used here before to explain why certain actors should not have a romance. I never got it either. Lol.

The show did try years ago. But JFP has singularly focused on actors over 40. Even so much so that she aged up key players. And almost every contract player she has brought on was 40 or over. Every young person is in a triangle with a parent or their airtime and story is lacking or nonexistent. I don't see this as trying.

• Members

Noah is just one in a long line of young 'men of a certain age' who have been given little purpose and whose character was essentially directionless.

Kyle, Mason, Tyler, Fen. Until recently, Devon was a mainstay on this list but his craptastic recent storyline gives him a temporary reprieve. If I cared more, I'd add Kevin Fisher to the list as well.

• Members

You see, I don't think that's the answer at all. I would have liked for Noah to have inherited Victor's love for business and Sharon's initial ambition. It would still worry Sharon and would create personality clashes with Nick that could fuel years of drama. On top of that, you would add a well-written Kyle and the feud would literally write itself into the next generation. Instead, we got five half-baked Kyle/Noah episodes and that was that.

• Members

Well La Diva Sullivan is besties with JFP so it's possible but she will get a contract. Sullivan was praising JFP on the radio show with Martha Madison said Jill is a dear friend and her kind of gal. That they are both new yorkers and they have a bond. I don't see that as kissing up to JFP they are just great friends.

• Members

They could be writing for RA strengths the way they wrote to accommodate Billy Miller and Michael Muhney. If TPTB had made a choice on which direction they wanted to go with the character of Noah and were consistent in writing him, it wouldn't be that hard.

In some cases the groundwork had already been laid years ago.

For instance, Devon went into Philanthropy, why couldn't he and Noah partner to build a foundation? Weren't they friends and in music together at one point? Noah's personality is such that he cares, he takes care of people and he shows concern for people in distress...would it have been such a stretch for him to want to help a larger group of people and put his trust fund to use?

Instead of having Kelly randomly waltz in as a coordinator, they could have hired her and then there would be some grounds for her to be in the mix with the Billy/Victoria saga after the Delia tragedy. And it would have given Devon and Noah something to ponder on how they brought Kelly to town-- you may have had Victoria at odds with her own nephew over it.

Another example, they had Noah explore photography. If they had had Noah pursue photography and want to go into photojournalism, that would have created another reason for Shemar Moore, to make another cameo, and become Noah's mentor. If he encourages Noah to pursue dangerous stories abroad like Malcolm did, that could create conflict with his family and his girlfriend.

The coffee house would only have made sense, IMO, had it remained a family business and Nick and/or Sharon wanted Noah to take over while Victor was opposed to it. But as it is the coffee house has changed hands twice, is no longer the hub of activity it once was and has done nothing to bolster story for the previous owners (Kevin/Chloe) nor the current one (Dylan).

But with the use of some imagination and some consistent writing, Noah could have been a character with purpose and direction.

• Members

It's true they did age Noah too much, b/c it makes him look too close his parents age and older than big sis, Mariah. While Noah isn't "HOT", i still feel having Nick and Sharon as parents has put limitations on him. If Y&R ever go the gay route....I don't see it being a Newman. :)

Archived