June 30 - July 4, 2014: Y&R Continues to Collapse; New Lows in W18-49 Viewers and W18-34 Rating

Toups

• Members

ITA. Without the three o them eating the series, more characters are being developed [Hello, Devon], Killer Miller isn't smirking, Snarky Muhney isn't oozing around the show, and honestly, Phyllis needed a rest. If they could just drop Heinle for an actress with personality and a true idea of who Victoria Newman is. Drop the baby rabies with the character Victoria, and send her back to work at Newman, by her daddy's side. If Villy are going to work,Victoria needs to be Victoria again, and Jean P hasn't done that. That is not totally her fault, as no writer has known how to right the character for years. The show doesn't need those actors back, it doesn't need new characters, it needs a writer that knows these characters and writes them correctly.

I don't even mind Dylan being Paul and Nikki's son[although SB isn't the actor I'd have used].Between Paul's sense of humor, and Nikki's flair for the dramatic, an actor with more personality[like Sean Carrigan] would've been my choice. CM's Kelly is also not the character she was when CW played her. I would've cast her as one of Jack's former flames, maybe Mari Jo Mason.

Nick and Sharon work, along with Mariah. Tyler needs a better storyline. Why not have Cane and Lily fight and Lily turn to Tyler because Cane is not supporting her hatred of Hillary. Abby torn between fighting for Tyler, and her friendship with Devon turning into a ONS that leads to more. Neil realizing his relationship with Hillary has more to do with her Daddy issues than love. That leads Neil into a sizzling story where Ashley is back in his orbit[leading to Olivia's return]. Lose Noah and Courtney and bring them back for special occasions. Kick Ian Ward into a power role butting heads with Victor and Nikki. Allow Nikki and Jill to share scenes in which Nikki tells her about Ian so that Jill and Colin help her con Ian into a corner. Turn Nikki and Jill's past rivalry into a friendship based on their mutual love of Katherine.

Just some ideas I would rather see than the crap we're currently watching.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What crack are you smoking these days? Seriously. Why on earth should she be rewarded with DAYS after tanking Y&R? DAYS has attained stability under Tomlin/Whitesell/Broderick. It isn't perfect, but it's stable and the cast seems happy and much of the viewers seem happy as well.

• Members

Toups, are the Y&R ratings really so bad you think someone could be out? I do agree the ratings are in the dumps, but I just don't see it. We all know how Jill is. There is also that feeling that it will only get worse. I feel if they do replace the current terrrible team we'll simply get a new group of hacks and so on and so forth until Y&R finally loses that #1 spot. These execs don't understand this show at all.

• Administrator
If the ratings fall were in Households or viewers, maybe not. But the huge falls are in the younger demos, so I do think there will be head writing changes. And this is not a one week or two week dip, this collapse has been happening since April.

• Members

The thing is JFP never gets fired. In fact in her 2 years at y and r she hit 6 years highs in the winter and her ratings have been steady until this spring. She's so close to Steve Kent. I remember in 1998 she hit all time lows at OLTL and people said she would be axed after a year then she did her dead baby story got great ratings and held them through 2000 and was awarded GH where she stayed for 11 years. It's hard firing Jill.

• Members

Those actors leaving still had an effect on the show. Should they bring MM back? Of course not but BM shouldn't have been let go at least not so close to another major actor leaving let alone after already losing MS a several months earlier. Could the show have maintained good writings despite losing those 3? Sure if the show was already well-written but it was not and therefore they should have at the very least kept BM and tried harder to woo MS back. At least Ashley is returning for good.

• Members

Right as the warmer weather started up. I and many others had said that Y&R was enjoying inflated ratings due to the winter storms and that once spring time hit, we will really see how the viewers feel about the drastic cast changes and writing that has happened over the past year.

Archived