Soap Dads: Favorite Moments

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This probably doesn't count, but I always enjoyed the father/daughter relationship between Henry and Vanessa Chamberlain on GUIDING LIGHT. They never had to do much except talk, but William Roerick conveyed so beautifully the deep sense of love that his character felt for Maeve Kinkead's Vanessa.

• Members

Oh, that totally does count. I probably should have added that it doesn't have to be specific moments.

We can celebrate all facets of soap dads.

And, yes, Henry was a wonderful father. I've seen some of the scenes surrounding the relegation that Quinton was his long-lost son and Henry welcomed him with arms wide open.

I didn't have much use for Jenna, but Henry's love for her made me care more than I probably would have otherwise.

It might be just me, but I also found him to be rather paternal to Alan and Alexandra at times.

Henry was probably one of the best soap dads ever.

• Members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEa1r_YS2lM

11:33 to 14:33

Neil and Devon discussing the revelation that Tucker was Devon's bio father and Devon declares that it didn't matter because he met his real father (Neil) when he was 16 years old. As I watch this, I am reminded that everything MAB produced wasn't complete garbage. Like Devon's connection to Kay and Tucker or not, that was a good, well written, compelling story.

• Members

I liked Henry and Vanessa on GL as well. I also liked Mac and Iris on Another World although their relationship was a bit twisted. My favorite soap father/child relationship though has been Doug and Hope on Days of Our Lives. I've watched that relationship since Hope was "born" on screen in 1974. Doug even named her. This clip (from the time Doug was supposedly murdered in 2004) has some nice flashbacks of Doug and Hope throughout her life. Starting around 4:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiRhB5BuLsE

More recently, Doug showed support when Hope was arrested after trying to kill Bo in 2010. At around 5:00.

• Members

Back when I still liked Jason on GH, and Michael was a baby there were some good sweet moments. No denying at that point how important he was to Jason.

Also GH- little Robin was pretty freaking cute when she introduced herself to Robert.

Saddest daddy moment is still Tony listening to his daughter's heart now beating in Maxie's chest.

On Guiding Light Ed and Michelle scenes after Maureen died are heartbreaking too.

I loved the tortured relationship Victor had with Bo on DAYS, and how much Shawn loved him as a Brady.

I loved on GL Roger Thorpe always calling Blake by her real name, and always being in her corner, even if she was scheming.

• Members

Being a OLTL Viki fan, my fave "father" was Clint with Ben as a funny cool Step father for a breif time. Unlike other soaps, Viki's boys had the same two actors for several years in the 80's and then Erin Tourpey was Jessica for over 10 years so they had a lot of great father/son/daughter moments in the 80's and 90's. Not as many as Viki had with the kids but there were great moments with Clint. a lot of Happy Christmases and one-on-ones especially with Jessica when she was growing up during the divorce. He had to balance being a loving father and digesting her rebellious ways towards Viki because of Sloan.

R.I.P Clint Ritchie

• Members

I think the best soap opera dad has to be Daniel Jonas... the way he will go to any lengths to protect Parker and show his love by being adventurous, daring, and compassionate definitely make him the best soap dad ever.... SAID NO ONE EVER! hahaha

I agree that Doug/Hope relationship has to be one of the best (at least in Days history), I also loved the relationship between John/Belle and Bo/Shawn... the thing with Days is while we have so many great male legacies - they're just not written for these days. It's a lot easier to think about the "Great Women of Days" (Marlena, Hope, Sami, Julie, Kate, etc) than the great legacy men. (Bo- being written as a dead beat dad who hasn't seen Ciara in 2 years), John - *sniff sniff* did someone else smell that too?, Jack - down the elevator shaft for the 154th time he died, Mike Horton - oh wait? that's a legacy male character we aren't supposed to remember... you get the point).

Here's to hoping the that by next Father's Day we will have some legacy men back in Salem! .... but that probably won't be the case considering they've probably already written scripts through Mother's Day. :(

Archived