Daytime Emmy Awards To Livestream Online

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know, OLTL not really being my show but watching the last few years on TV and then the reboot, I could see some of the gripes long time viewers may have had...but honestly, after getting some distance and watching part of the first episode again, I could understand how a person who is maybe not very familiar with the history of the characters and their backstories and is watching for the first time, would find the episode engaging.

I was putting myself in the place of someone not familiar with the show and it's characters or history and found that the pacing was good, it moved well and the opening scenes were intriguing enough that you wanted to know more of what was going on.

I'm not saying, it could win or anything but I could understand why they would choose the first episode as part of their submission reel, especially knowing a lot of non-soap/ casual watchers would be judging.

• Members

Wrote an open letter today via twitter

Open Letter to The Social Media Hosts Of The Daytime Emmys

To: @BrittanyFurlan @JessicaHarlow @Love_Lauren_E & @meghanrosette
I am a long time daytime soap fan and I love @DaytimeEmmys. I was good with the streaming on line but I have to be honest I was hurt that the majority of the soap journalists and bloggers were not given red carpet access to the awards. These people have been in the daytime game and they arent allowed on the carpet. These journalists & bloggers know the shows, the actors, producers, writers and directors. This daytime community is one big fmily although somettimes disfuctional.

So after stewing on this for the last day, I have decided I am gonna be open minded about this just as I am when a new actor takes over a role I love or shows get new writers and producers. The one thing that I ask of you four for th whole daytime community is that please do your research so you all will be aware of who is who & want shows they are from.

If your gonna take on this job and want to do it justice, know the genre and the people in it.

Good luck
‪#‎DaytimeEmmys‬

• Members

Well, John, at least you were polite, unlike some of the twits who have been engaged in name-calling (I think one person even called them hookers!sad.png ) I really think that the Daytime Emmys organization should've been first on the To: list because aren't they the ones who made the decision in the first place?

I am curious, though, how these ladies were chosen. I mean, how/why did the Daytime Emmys organization decide on them? And the selection didn't look very diverse. Hopefully there will be a more diverse selection on the Red Carpet? Or is this all there is?

If I were casting for the Red Carpet, I'd get Clarence for the CBS shows, I'd get Linda Dano for the NBC soap and for ABC, perhaps someone like Robin Strasser-- or is she too much of a wildcard?

You want some recognizable faces.

And if they were not going to use soap bloggers to do Social Media, they should have just used a soap actor who is handy with Social Media like Martha Byrne or someone like that.

I see your point though, but it would have been good to use people who are versatile. Ideally people who are known in soaps and outside of soaps.

• Members

I thought they might get a soap person, a kids show person & a talk show person to do the red carpet

I was shocked cause I dont know these 4 outside their Vine/YT vids

Were they hired because of their age?

• Members

It's kind of sad that I don't even know where the link is to watch it or what time it's on. Do you guys think anybody will capture it and put it on youtube for later? Or do people who are not home completely miss it period? Not that I even really care, but sometimes you get the nice unexpected moment like Doug Davidson winning.

• Members

I thought the first episode was extremely well-done and I'd been watching twenty years, so I personally don't think it's an either/or. I do think the show stumbled with its storytelling midway through the course of those 40 episodes due to hasty rewrites on several key stories (the intermittent Natalie/Cutter plotline is a band-aid for their lack of the John McBain character, which frankly they shouldn't have banked on) and some haphazard pacing choices on others - with the exception of Todd and Blair's reunion, the Todds stuff floats along and goes nowhere/does nothing until they leave, at which point the conspiracy story finally kicked into high gear by revealing Jeffrey to be a mole and tying it into several other storylines (Clint's breakdown, etc.), just in time for the show to wrap up. And other stories sort of turn on and off as the show tries to find its way, while the Viki/Banner story, which I thought was excellent for the first couple months and had great drama, sort of peters out - she gets refunded her money and that's it, except for her break-up with Clint. But in the scheme of things it was all about two months' worth of episodes of a regular five-day soap, which is not a big deal for a show to find itself, which it clearly had begun to do by the end. And I felt that even with the ups and downs, the show was very well-scripted and put together, a solid soap finding its footing.

I almost wish it had had the slow burn AMC did to excellence, but I think they were both just quite good.

Also, that link to the video submission goes nowhere.

• Members

Didn't someone mention viewing available on their Facebook page as well? Or was that a false rumour?

If you can't, I would tweet, Facebook or text. They claimed at the beginning that the streaming aspect would open it to a Worldwide audience. If they keep their word, you should be able to see it but if there are any technical issues, you have the right to contact them and let them know, JMO.

Archived