Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

I have two complaints about this episode. One, as glad as I am to see some different genres of music and artists, I think it was lame that they gave Courtney an old song like "Take Me to the River" when everyone else has gotten original music. I hope Elle will return and have a chance to sing something fresh(er) and two, we got no acknowledgment of the fact that Cookie accidentally had someone murdered. That's the kind kind of plot detail I think requires follow-up.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I posted about Hakeem's Mommy issues but never quite thought about it this way. Very astute thinking. And logical.

As for what everybody's been saying about Cookie's attitude toward Hakeem...see, I interpreted that look she gave Hakeem in a totally different way. When he told her "...I'm already a star, Cookie!" I saw bemusement in her eyes, almost as if she was tickled that he had that level of confidence and it might have been something that she would've said, had she been a rapper or singer herself. I guess, it's subjective though and can be interpreted in many ways.

Hopefully Porsha will clue Cookie in on Anika's offer while stringing Anika along with meaningless breadcrumbs (with Cookie's blessing). If they're smart they'll have Porsha gain intelligence on what's going on from the other end and share it with Cookie.

That look that Uncle Vernon gave Lucious-- that was a look of utter disgust. All I can say is, looks like that bottom bunk just moved closer to the top bunk.

While Cookie was rather blunt, Michael should really invest more time in honing his own craft. I do see a separation between he and Jamal but I wouldn't assume that Michael will end up as some pathetic stalker. Watch out, yesterday's layabout might become tomorrow's Next Food Network star! I wouldn't be surprised if Michael ends up with a cookbook and a fancy restaurant that Jamal can't get a reservation for...Bwahahaha!tongue.png

That reveal where Cookie takes off the fur. Iconic! That scene could fit in on a list of audacious soap moments right alongside Dallas and Dynasty and the rest.

Is it just me or is anyone else getting a Dr. Conrad Murray sensibility from Lucious' new "concierge" doctor?unsure.png

Yes, Derek Luke's character is straight-laced and strict but I sense Cookie can (and will) loosen him up. And since, he'll be the man who knows where all the cameras are...nobody will have to know.wink.png

Raven's character came up on the scene like a stage Mom urging that child to sing that song. I hope they stick around for awhile because this looks like this is going to be fun!happy.png

Another Lucious contradiction. Lucious is not cool with his son's homosexuality, yet what do I notice on his wall...artwork by Kehinde Wiley! Does Lucious know this...kind of a clever touch by the show's production department.

• Members

Oh wow. Dallas/Houston! That sent a shiver (maybe it's the cold weather?).

I could see Faith Evans as a vulnerable type because it often comes through in her singing and Lord knows she's seen her fair share but can she act?

Based on acting experience, I can see why Courtney got the part though.

• Members

True (lol). I'm hoping they keep Naomi doing her little side part(s) and not expand her role in any way. I shudder to think what could happen if someone is foolish enough to have her face off against Taraji!

At the very least, I felt that Courtney could hold her own with Taraji, there was give and take. You've got me interested now, though in the possibilities of what Faith Evans could bring--a tough and vulnerable sensability in a character. And Empire needs a mature R&B singer, around Cookie's age-- that might be fun and tense! Okay, now I want to see that...maybe they can create a different role for her. Someone should put that out there, Cheap.wink.png

Edited by DramatistDreamer