Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Rhonda's Gran or as Elle's Mother? In either case, a good smack to the face is a MUST!

ITA. Trai impressed me the most, he's been like a sleeping giant and he unleashed. It's not just the fury but the fact that it's been building from when he was still on his meds. Even though I agree that the pacing it playing too fast and loose, he has been giving platinum performances, especially this latest episode-- that elevator scene was heartbreaking. Come Emmy time, I hope he gets remembered. I already expect Taraji to be on that list.

That scene in the park with Judd Nelson pointing a piece gave me New Jack City flashblacks for some bizarre reason.

Hopefully, in Season 2 we'll see a bit of modification to the pacing and characters without losing what makes the show so entertaining.

House of Cards has made some modifications in their storytelling in this new season.

Still, highly entertaining.

• Members

I guess he is a villain, but it's hard for me to even see him that way. It must be the charm. I really just seem him as one more hard headed soap patriarch. I can still sympathize with him on some level because I don't think he goes out of his way to be malicious and tear people down. It happens, but I never feel like it's calculated. And, if he happens to have a few murders under his belt, well, who doesn't? (j/k)

Marceline:

You could see that Hakeem and Anika really do care about each other. Hakeem just had to make a choice and it couldn't be Anika. I believed him when he said he was sorry his father didn't do right by her.

I had mixed feelings about Cookie throwing Anika out. I felt bad about the clothes, but I thought Portia was right to take the phone.

I was also glad to see Portia was loyal to Cookie.

• Members

This show was a mess. I guess I will be the odd one out and say I didn't like the Andre portion of the story. While he has a legitimate claim to the Empire thrown, probably the most out of any of the three brothers it's hard to argue with Luscious that Andre is not a stable person to leave everything to. For that reason alone Andre can't be his successor, he is too much of a wild card. But it's sad to see how Luscious has damaged virtually everyone around him. This episode really tore down Andre for me, because I really don't know what his role in the show is now. He's been such a peripheral figure for so long it's hard to see where he really fits in. He's been in the background for so long and now he is defined by his illness, and that's so sad because we don't know much about who he is as a person/character. Disappointed in the story, but the performance was notable. It's not enough to leverage his character problems though.

He does, he had me when he said he worked from 8 am in the morning until 10 pm at night, every night for decades while the other kids got to enjoy their childhood. But with this outburst, he's not stable enough to lead this company. This is just another way Luscious has failed his sons.

I hope they will to, but I didn't feel Hakeem was all that supportive. It's clear Jamal is the one who works the best in the mediator role. I think having Hakeem so close to his father is ruining his characterization. He's becoming unlikable to me to the point where I really just don't want to see his face or his little punk outfits.

Cookie's always been portrayed this way, which was one reason why I was hesitant to start watching the series. But the other characters have that kind of sophistication to level her out, so as long as that is there I am fine with it, more or less. The hood rat and coonery can exist as long as it's done sparingly.

Still not feeling Hakeem in the slightest.

I actually agreed with Cookie regarding Anika, she needed to protect Empire's assets, and that meant taking her phone, giving her zero reasons to come back to Luscious mansion and procure confidential information and just in general revoke her access to all thing Empire. Anika compromised a lot of confidential information and was privy to a lot of things business-wise. Cookie was protecting her assets.

Edited by Skin

• Members

I'm making this EMPIRE Thursday laugh.png

Saw episode 7.... Love that Hakeem and Jamal keep going back and forth between loving and hating each other. Anika spiking Elle's drink with drugs has officially earned her her c*nt credentials. The scenes in which Lucious tells the family he has ALS and then Andre has his panic attack were really touching. Rhonda showed genuine concern and love for Andre when she saw him. And, of course, Cookie/Lucious sex and Anika seeing them. YAAAAS. Lucious looks like he can f-ck real good.

• Members

Empire was rounded up to a 5.8 in the finals!!!!

Week 1- 3.8

Week 2- 4.0

Week 3- 4.4

Week 4- 4.3

Week 5- 4.6

Week 6- 4.8

Week 7- 5.2

Week 8- 5.4

Week 9- 5.8

It has gained two full points since its premiere and is the highest rated broadcast drama in the demos since Greys Anatomy had a 6.1 on 10/01/09.