Clippers Owner Don Sterling Really Screws Up

Roman

• Members

How many more executives and owners in the sports industry including the NFL and baseball view black folks as expensive meal tickets to line their pockets but want no personal association with them. It makes you think who else shares his views. I had no idea that this man was given a lifetime achievement by the NAACP and they were on the verge of giving him another one. Talk about revolting.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly! What's more revolting than Sterling? The NAACP on the verge of rewarding him again! Morons! But the dollar rules!

Sterling has a laundry list of his past racist misdeeds. How many lawsuits has he paid due to discrimination?

Nothing the NBA did today was w/out Sterling's consent because they have no grounds on which to take such drastic action. A private conversation with some trick?

Too much money is in the industry and one of the many rotten apples will not be taking money from the other's pockets. As racists get older, they lose the ability to control everything they say, but nothing Sterling has said and done are new.

And for any person of color who's super happy and singing "We Shall Overcome", you still have to go to work tomorrow!

This changes nothing!

• Members

I will never understand what is wrong with conservatives. No doubt this guy was set up by his girlfriend or that ex wife who was suing him, whatever that is, but you can't be entrapped unless you are doing something trappable. Even if these republicans are correct and Magic Johnson even hid in the closet with a boom mic how does that in any way change the fact that this guy said all those things? And republicans listen to Rush Limbaugh as if he actually has a point to make.

Anyway, this case would make an interesting companion for a side by side analysis with the Marge Schott case from years ago. She would wear a swastika in her home.laugh.png

• Members

I don't get it either. I think these people are so terrified at the idea that there may actually be racism in the world, that racism is not something invented by lazy bums and those evil liberals - the only racism that ever occurs is against POC conservatives. They are always looking for a "gotcha!" because they don't want to question their worldview.

• Members

I didn't want to be the first here to get into a political debate, and obviously Rush's idiotic conspiracy theories are disgraceful. But this incident has also exposed (as Chit and Money already mentioned) the horrendous hypocrisy and flaws of the NAACP. And I don't know of any liberal other than Don Lemon with the courage to stridently condemn that organization.

I also think we need to recognize that those who criticize V. Stiviano are not automatically trying to make Sterling a martyr. (I apologize to DRW, because I have no idea if he was referring to such people who condemn V. as those who automatically see Sterling as a martyr.) Despite the positive outcome of Sterling's ban, V. Stiviano is not an admirable human being. Obviously what Sterling did was much, much worse, but V. should be condemned, as she wasn't on a crusade for racial justice, but rather on an extortion mission. She embodies the worst stereotypes of the Southern California gold-digger, just as (sadly) Sterling embodies the worst stereotypes of the wealthy, bigoted Jew. This is totally unfair, but--as a result of this incident--people will continue to view many young women as obsessed with money and sex, and relations between blacks and Jews will take a turn for the worse.

• Members

Exactly what did he do that was trappable?

Yeah, that skank will be on the talk show circuit soon enough. I had to get off Twitter last night because the celebration and the new hero, Silver, made me cringe!

You're damn right he's a martyr because Sterling is stepping down so that everyone can continue to make lots of money. Sterling is smart enough to know that nothing said on that tape is grounds for the actions taken against him.

• Members

No, you're right. Many who criticize her are just appalled by her actions. And I get that, totally. I agree that she wasn't doing this as some truth-telling hour or anything along those lines. The problem is when this moves into another step of absolving him for his actions because she somehow tricked him, or, like in the article I linked to, claiming that Magic Johnson entrapped him as part of some covert plan to buy the team.

• Members

I don't follow professional sports at all so let me get this straight, there are people saying that Magic Johnson arranged for this tape to get out so that he could buy the team? I'd LOVE if that were true. I'd love it if Magic were hardcore enough to work with the gold-digging trick who's sleeping with the married old white guy who seems to think that minorities are only good for sex and profits but nothing else, to arrange to use both her greed and his bigotry to get him a basketball team dirt cheap. That's some Keyser Soze [!@#$%^&*] right there. THAT would be worthy of an NAACP lifetime Achievement Award.

I want him to buy the team, say "Hell yeah that's exactly what I did!" then go into inner-city schools to conduct chess workshops with black youth so that kids can internalize the value of strategic thinking and patience.

• Members

Clearly they are if the league is being faced with fans, players and corporate sponsors all in agreement that the Clippers should not continue as is. He is in sports and has black players and fans to whom he cannot explain what it is about them he doesn't want his wife around. This isn't the law we are talking about where there is a set threshold, it is sports where there is another threshold and he clearly crossed that line just the way Marge Schott did years ago. She was worse to be honest.

If this guy didn't want to be around black people, why didn't he just go into yachting or horseracing? Seems like he picked the worst sport for his racial concerns.

• Members

You can not want to be around a certain group of people and still make money off of them (ask Paula Deen), which is what this entire "punishment" is about. Sterling certainly isn't the only one. Many were speculating that the Clippers lost intentionally the other day, the public display with the jerseys, the money a lot of folks stand to lose? The NBA had to "take action". This way, everyone can continue to make lots and lots of money.

Archived