School System Difference's Around the World (And your opinon)

allmc2008

• Members

Here in the USA we normally get a one week spring break plus a summer that lasts from about June-August/September. We also got a few weeks off for Christmas as well.

I am curious to know what system there is in other regions of the world.

I, personally, don't like how there is a long summer because it is hard to get back into the grove of things. I think there should be "Mini-Breaks" periodically.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here in Australia you go for four terms all year with breaks between the terms. The school year always starts at the end of January/beginning of February and runs till mid December. Term 1 is from end of January/beginning of February till early April (or whenever Easter is). Term 2 is end of April till end of June. Term 3 is middle of July till late September. Term 4 is early October till early/mid December. You also get all the religios and bank/federal holidays off.

I also went to school in Japan and France and they both ran on trimester systems. Japan had three trimesters from March to the next March (with breaks in betweens the trimesters plus holidays off) and France went from September to June and also had three trimesters.

• Members

In Germany, a new school year usually starts in August/September and lasts until June/July.

There are three major breaks; 2 weeks in the fall, 2 weeks over Christmas/New Year's and 2 weeks over Easter. The exact number of free days is different in each of the 16 federal states. For example, in the states of Berlin, Thuringia and Saxony, the 2014/2015 Christmas holidays only last 13 days, but in the state of Hesse they last 20 days.

The summer holidays between school years are 6 weeks.

The school year is divided into two terms (called "1. & 2. Halbjahr" - "Halbjahr" translates as "half-year"): The first one from the beginning of the school year to the end of January, and the second one from the end of January to the beginning of the summer break.

At university, the year is also divided into two terms: The winter term starts in October and lasts until the beginning of February. Then you have two months off until the summer term starts in early April. The summer term ends at the beginning of July and then you have a break of three months.

Archived