• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

@GLATWT88

Thank you for that footage… omg I’m a history buff and love all things #gh -#geniefrancis - who had the better career #imho - it seems Tony Geary was interviewed more and was thought to be the bigger star but once Genie Francis left it all went down hill. I love Gloria Monty.. what a blast from the past!! I’m watching Dynasty on prime video now.. Lol!! So soapy!!! Delicious!!!  

Edited by Chrissy81730

• Members

GH L&L wedding week 13.8/43 a massive achievement for the times.

But going back to the 60's ATWT was also scoring amazing numbers. The worth of a rating point may have differed back then but ATWT was scoring phenomenal numbers back then w/o the publicity and hype of GH.

January 1969

ATWT CBS 14.4

Lets Make a Deal ABC 10.5

Hidden Faces NBC 4.4

2 weeks  Sept 29-Oct 10. 1969

1. As The World Turns 13.7/50

ATWT March 66 16.9 rating

• Members

Okay, one thing, one very important thing. Douglas Marland wrote Lesley Webber & her discovery of her bio daughter, Laura & Laura's accidentally killing this man & Lesley taking the blame & Laura & Scotty & a lot more & then he also wrote Luke & Laura. Marland's writing is as much a part of the resurgence of GH as is Monty's production changes, to a point. When Monty decided to "rebrand" the rape & call it a seduction he left & the writing fell to Pat Falken Smith who also disagreed with the seduction but needed the job to support herself & her daughter so she went along, to get along. And GH continued to have stellar writing except for the switch from character-driven stories to action-driven stories, which is where Monty did soapdom a disservice. Me, I thought that the marital rape on GL was better & more important but the mainstream press was in love with Luke & Laura & had no interest in Roger raped Holly. And that press fed the fans which fed the press. Think Beatlemania. The L&L fans were crazed. 

• Members

We weren't thinking at all.  I remember explaining it to a friend who had just started watching.  "He raped her, so then of course she fell in love with him."  "Oh, ok!  She LIKED IT, huh!  Cool!"  

We all thought this was the most normal thing in the world.  

• Members

@JAS0N47  This makes me think of something. Do you have the ratings for DAYS Doug & Julie's first wedding?  It supposedly had an audience of 16 million which was then surpassed when GH L&L had 30 million. It would just be interesting to see if those 1970s ratings support that. It's so exciting seeing L&L's. I suppose this should be in the 70s ratings thread. Sorry.