What soaps are you currently watching?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Haha, It makes me feel guilty if I don't watch because I always give myself the idea I will miss something, but I end up telling myself nothing on this show ever moves forward.....ironically that's how Bill Bell's Y&R was, but the big difference is that even when the show was "boring' everything else production wise made it for it......and I rather watch my classic episodes over the current drivel.....

• Members

It's not so much the production values alone but under Bill Bell, Kay Alden and to some extent John F Smith (and even MAB) the show was boring in a meaningful way. Because corporate stories meant sth., the relationship of one character with another meant sth. As a viewer you had strong feeling for basically every character; positive and negative - but at least 80% of them were engaging.

Skip to 2014: the stories are drivel and useless characters and actors are front and center (saying that 20% of them are angaging is a booooooooold assumption). The only interesting angle these writers seem to know is...

1. Victor is EVIL and yet has to win and

2. women should be whining and weak,

3. but that Sharon Case will carry any story and

3. that every newcomer has a deep buried secret to be uncovered in his first and last story, yet he/she will be dragged on the show for the next 5 years...7

4. generic formulas always work: so let's make Paul the police commissioner, make Lily & Cane patrons, never mind that Nick is already a bar owner, and Dullan has Crimson Lights, oh I nearly forgot Bill'ys awful night club. I'm sure a strip club story is just around the corner as is a baby switch. Gag me!

On B&B it is totally different; I feel myself disconnected but that's because every single character I once liked/cared about is gone and I missed the time to properly connect with the Spencers as 2008/2009 was just one big mess I started losing interest. The plotting/writing is decent and better than in past years and the show has constantly build in audience for 3+ years now, so they must be doing sth. right.

Therefore I'm just skipping through the program these days; I still consider it my #1 show though and if Brad Bell gives me one single character return to root for I'm back onboard 24/7.

• Members

I'm always at work when the soaps are on. Sometimes I DVR GH. Or Days. Never really liked Y&R. I watched in the early 00s. I watched again briefly when William Russ was cast as Tucker but as soon as he was gone, I was gone too. I was much more into OLTL and even Passions. Not the supernatural stuff on Passions but the characters on that soap seemed much more interesting and entertaining than on the other soaps. I was also more into AMC than I am into the soaps that are still on. The soaps that I cared more about have been cancelled.

• Members

I try to watch DAYS everyday otherwise marathon on the weekend. I haven't missed an episode since October 2012 when ED returned.

B&B- in and out, but the end is near. It really is a broken record just remixed.

Will watch GH and Y&R when people on boards mention something worth watching but neither are compelling me to become a regular viewer. I have some history with Y&R, none with GH.

• Members

Days- I try to watch everyday. I think it's the only soap that's good right now. It's far from perfect though and is playing it too safe.

GH, Y&R, and B&B I tune into sometimes hoping to see potential. mellow.png

Are there any good YT channels that have consecutive old episodes of soaps other than bandstandmike? I'm too OCD for channels that jump around or skip a lot.

• Members

I DVR Y&R, B&B, and GH daily. I'm about a week behind right now, which is pretty good for me. Trying to catch up before David Tom arrives. I'm usually more up to date on GH, but that is because I fast forward through it more. I actually don't FF through Y&R and very rarely through B&B (right now Bill Spencer is usually the reason). Y&R is definitely boring but I prefer to do something else while it's on rather than skip, on the very off chance I miss something. But I don't always watch all at once so that helps. I might watch 20 minutes while I'm eating breakfast, and then 20 minutes while I'm checking e-mail, etc.

I have never watched DOOL or anything on NBC. At this point just don't see the need to pick up another soap. There is plenty of primetime stuff to watch instead.

• Members

I TiVo all 4, although Y&R is the only one that I don't have an automatic season pass set up, so if I forget to record it, I miss it. I haven't watched Y&R full time since 2010. 9 times out of 10, I speed all the way thru it just to see who's on, and delete without actually watching.

DAYS I've always watched. B&B I've watched on & off for years and currently have been watching steadily since mid-2012. GH I picked up when Llanview came to Port Charles, and I've been watching ever since, but I'm very selective on which storylines I watch. Some episodes only take 5-10 minutes to watch.

• Members

I watched Y&R yesterday and, oddly enough, I was more intrigued by it than DOOL. I think DOOL is doing great but there is something about Y&R that really intrigues me. What is even more strange is that everyone keeps saying that Y&R sucks and that it it supper slow.

• Members

Mike's YT channel is currently up to January of 1996 of GL, but I'm constantly going back to his 1989-1994 clips and hoping he goes back and puts up the full episodes eventually. Those GL years were, IMO, some of the best of any soap ever (though there were stumbles in '94).

Say what you want about JFP, but her GL was the last time it was a true community umbrella ensemble and that's what I ALWAYS watched soaps for, which is why Y&R and DAYS are the only current shows I really bother to try to actually watch.

Archived