Y&R: The characterization of Victor Newman

• Members

YRBB nails it.

It's easy to assume Braeden calls the shots. I'm sure he does have some say, like over certain scenes, but it's been clear that he has had little to do with any story in recent years. I know there was talk that he wanted Victor/Sharon, to seem virile, but I don't think he would really want to go there with Sharon. And the huge fallout with Braeden and Sharon Case, which I sense still hasn't gone away, likely exacerbated this.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It seems to me soap writers these days find character development boring. The biggest mistake they ever made with soaps was making them story driven instead of character driven. In terms of Victor it feels like they just went back to 80/81 era Victor and exaggerated those aspects, completely ignoring his character development for the past 30 years.

Same thing happened with Brooke on B&B. Bell characters are hard to write sometimes because he seemed to love the psychology of the character, none of his mainstay characters can be reduced to a couple of lines to describe who they truly are. Even when I heard actors from his shows describe their characters it wouldn't fully encompass the character as a whole.

Archived