The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

ChitHappens

• Members

I'm similar. I enjoy action scenes, but I would have been severely disappointed if any important pre-Games beats were cut in favor of more drawn-out action sequences. The Hunger Games was about the Games, whereas Catching Fire is about the revolt. The main story focus is outside of the arena, between the 74th and 75th Games. Of course, the Games play a huge part in the story, but they weren't the story this time around. Even during the Games, in the book and the movie, less attention is paid to the actual Games -- the fighting, the deaths, etc. -- than to the motives of the characters, and all that ties back to the revolt and defeating the Capitol.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well said AMS. Again, I'll give Collins credit that, while the second book has SOME recap type info, she resisted the urge many franchise/series writers have to re-iterate details. ie they skip over in a sentence or two things about the pre-game training that anyone whose read the first book already read pages about, etc.

• Members

I think I mostly agree with this, too. The characters are appealing, but complete archetypes (given that so much is based on the myth of Theseus--granted with elements, on purpose or not, taken from Batle Royale, Lord of the Flies, etc, this makes sense.) Gale is still pretty non-existant in the films (and in the books up to this point) so to skip his material in the first half would have made his character useless.

• Members

I wholeheartedly agree that Katniss isn't a charismatic lead character and that the story around her is the real draw. That's why I don't get all of the love for Katniss as a female character, Katniss as a role model, etc. Of course, she's strong and kicks ass when she has to, and does her thing, but honestly, the ONLY time I've really rooted for her and cheered for her over these two movies and the first two books is when she's in the arena in the midst of the Games. Outside of the Games, she's a stubborn bore, completely full of herself. I loved Haymitch's line at the end about why she "never makes the plans."

• Members

To be fair, I don't think that was the original point. She's been spoken of as this young feminist superwoman, but the original plot was she was meant to be a stubborn teenager who grows into her role. The media has placed that on her character.

I do think too big a point has been made on the character (!) being a role model. It's like girls are meant to look up to either Miley Cyrus, or Katniss.

• Members

Well yeah, that's what I mean. I don't feel that SC writes it so that we're supposed to think Katniss is perfect. I like the way she's written, even when she says things that really make me roll my eyes ("Oh, EVERYONE is attracted to Finnick, he is very handsome...but of course I, Katniss, have never found him attractive at all"), because it's her POV and like you said, she's the stubborn teenager who learns to trust and let people in. But yes, it's mostly the media and the anti-Twilight (sorry, Eric) backlash that props her up to be this awesome role model for kids, but it's like...she's like 96% emotionally dead. She's a "strong woman" physically, but emotionally, not so much.

Anyways, being a soap fan for so long has made me a spoilerhound, and unfortunately, I've already read brief snippets of synopses from Mockingjay. I'll read it before Part 1 comes out, but I'm in no rush, as people have said that its the worst of the three books and feels very much like a "Make it a trilogy!" rush job.

• Members
I think it's more the fact that her biggest deli a in life isn't to date hot boy number one or hot boy number two. Yes she has two romantic interests but she isn't torn between them. At all actually. She loves gale and wants to be with bale but she can't. She likes Peeta and isn't upset to end up with him because it keeps her and everyone she loves including gale safe. Peeta I in love with her and he knows she isn't with him and accepts that.

The gender roles int he the hunger games is so interesting. A lot has been written on it, better than I could explain, but KE is much more male reluctant hero than anything else. Peeta Is basically the movie girlfriend but a boy. And then there's all the other characters esp the people from the Capitol. I think that she essentially being the anti-Bella/Sookie/Elena/Whoever is what has made her a role model despite all the emotional and psychological isssues.

As for the third book, it's very different from the first two but it's my favorite. It's a dark, depressing and twisted psychological tale of war and what it does to people. I think it's underrated a de wisely better than the first book, I found it ok at best. I do love the second book tho.

• Members

I actually liked it best, but it really does divide people. I thought the second one was the one she padded out to please her publisher Scholastic? At least she didn't make it longer like some other YA series. Though it is suspicious that all three books seem to be almost exactly 390 pages, and each is divided almost exactly in three parts...

You may as well read it though--it's not like her books take more than a few hours to read despite the page count -- something as an Eng Lit grad student I admit I find refreshing (it's sad, but when you read Moby Dick and it takes an hour to get through 30 pages, it makes you feel good to just turn the page every 20 seconds or so)

And ha! In Catching Fire that drove me crazy--I read it when it came out, but I remember, like, PARAGRAPHS about how Finnick is just SOO beautiful, everyone thinks so, bla bla beautiful, and then finally a sentence or two of "But for whatever reason I don't find him attractive. Maybe he's just too pretty" or whatever. (Nevermind that she basically describes Gale and Peeta the same way.)

• Members

Katniss gets heralded as a hero because she is more or less proactive and takes control of her life, so I understand why she is well liked within the genre. But the fact that she is also a masculine hero kind of points back to the problem in and of itself with femininity being seen as weak or less than heroic.

Mockingjay is just superfluous and gratuitous to the point of fault. There was a lot that didn't need to happen and a ton of needless loss that wasn't needed from a story perspective. It is shoddy, in that particular way. I would say it's the film I am the least looking forward to seeing adapted but that's entirely the source materials fault. In terms of enjoyment, the first book is the best one.

• Members

I don't see Katness as masculine in any way. I see her as for feminine but who has qualities typically reserved only for masculine male action heroes. Just like I don't see gale as feminine at all, he is a very masculine man but he is also very emotional and loving in a way you rarely get to see from a man like this in action movies.

I can imagine mocking jay with any less violence, death, anything. I think it was all needed. It's a war nearly til nothing is left on either side and that's exactly what needed to happen. I really hope the movie delivers on what I got from the book. That desperation but determination. They are all willing to lose their lives, their loved ones lives, everything and everyone to put an end to this and I feel like they were just in it. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it in the sense that it was uplifting, but I def think it's the best of the series and the other two perfectly build to it and it builds to a. Great end.

I saw the movie again today. So much to love. The few things I noticed that were changed from the book really worked. I liked actually think Katness was quicker to realize what was going on in the movie than the book. JL is perfect because she can play so much with so little. The way shed look at things and react to people and what was said and events happening in the arena. She didn't have a full picture but she was quickly putting the pieces together. Peeta also came across better to me in the movie than the second book.

Effie is just wonderful. So is Cinna (right? LK's character). WH, PSH, DS, ST - all amazing. I actually think LH as gale is underrated. His character has some of the fewest scenes and lines but I truly feel like I know gale. I get gale. And LH plays him perfectly.

The look on JL's face at the end was a great final shot. I saw it with my mom who doesn't read the books or know anything about them except the first movie and she loved it too.

And oh man the wedding dress into the mocking jay look was just perfect.

As was that scene of her being lifted out of the arena.

Even tho in the end of this one she's being deceived and aided and is more than less saved, Katniss still came off as a hero. Strong, smart. A leader even tho she really wasn't and doesn't want to be. Great script, directing and acting all around. Oh I also think the movie did a great job showing her PTSD without hitting you over the head with it.

Still don't love the guy cast as finnick but he was ok. JM was perfect in her role.

Archived