Characters you hated but are now excited to see

• Members

I have been thinking about this quite a bit over the years, as all the soaps began to decline in the 2000's, and I sometimes find myself shocked when a character returns and because the current state of a show is so awful, I'm now excited to see them.

On GH, Robert Scorpio was never a character I really enjoyed. Loved Robin, loved Anna, but not him. But when he came back after years dark mob heroes, during the contagion storyline, I found myself not only happy to see him, but I loved his character like I had always been missing him!

On Y&R, Traci was never a character I loved, but she brings so much heart genuine talent with her when she visits, I find myself wanting her back full time, with a storyline!

DAYS has Nicole, who was awful to me in her original run. Now I feel she often carries her corner of the show and I am invested in her.

Has this happened to anyone else in the last ten years, and does anyone else have any examples?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Once Nicole became a boozer when she was unhappily married to Lucas, she was a star in my eyes :) That first year was pretty rancid though.

She's a character who definitely benefited from being "rested" for a year or so. Look what she was thrown into once she came back! And she's been a major player ever since.

• Members

I have literally hated Maxie on General Hospital since Kirsten Storms took over the role eight years ago.

Things only got worse when she was paired with Bradford Anderson's Damian a couple of years later. I have literally zoned out over the years during all of their unbearable scenes.

BUT this past year, the far-fetched baby story line has got me completely glued in to the show and I will completely be in agreement if Anderson finally wins that Emmy next summer.

• Members

Y&R Gloria. I didn't even care if she was justified when she went up against Jack and Ashley. And then the Jabot cream scandal happened and she was all over the place. HATE HER.

Fast forward today...and I still giggle about her, chloe, and Chelsea going into business today. 'Gloria...and girls.' THAT...was a storyline that I wished the current/ex-current writers had gone into more...because Gloria was totally needed. Or how she would flirt with Carmine before he went psycho.

• Members

She never left and returned, but I could not stand OLTL's Natalie for several years (and given her dirty deeds, I thought her fans' support of her over Jessica was totally unfounded), but she totally grew on me to crush proportions towards the end of the show's run on ABC (this had nothing to do with my acquired taste for Natalie, but Jess/Tess/et cetera Mess I loathed by that point).

I also didn't care for AMC's Damon and I thought his mere existence was completely unnecessary in the beginning, but I ended up sorry to see him go.

• Members

Well, I hated Greenlee on AMC at first, grew to like her (when paired w/ Leo), and then hated her again (when paired w/ Ryan). Does that count? LOL

Annie was dull at first, but she became a star and my favorite after they made her crazy. Another character I didn't care for at first was Simone, but I grew to like her a lot and was sad that they klled her off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Margaret Cochran in OLTL repeats. The character still makes me sick when I watch but Tari Signor cracks me up! I love her being so OTT!!

Tea Delgado. JMB's Lulu on GH when I watch repeats. Lucas, Nicole, and Kate on DAYS. Blair on OLTL, though I don't know if she really counts, since I only hated her in 2009 in that horrible story with Frodd/Tea/eventually Ross. Other than that, I always liked her and still like her a lot.

Archived