Best Nick-Names We Gave Soap People

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sugarcube/Princess Sugarcube for Sabrina (GH).

Lunatic Moodswing for Luna Moody (OLTL).

And yes, that last one is exclusively MY property, y'all. tongue.png

ETA:

Skipper the Stripper for Courtney (GH).

Beach Blanket Barbie for Jen (OLTL).

The Midget Moobster for Sonny (GH).

The Lawn Gnome Troll for Liz (GH--someone who hates her on TWOP uses it and I LOVE it laugh.png ).

Maxhole for Max (OLTL--much as it pains me to admit it, he definitely had moments where he deserved that name).

• Members
that's not entirely true. It may be more prevalent but it happens with men too. GH's Sonny and AMC's Ryan for example got called out for it. Fans did the same for Y&R's Nick and Billy. The worst offender right now is Day's Daniel and he gets ripped apart for his slutty ways on a regular basis around here

• Members

Because society likes to slut-shame women for the same behavior it tolerates in men. It's okay if a man sleeps around, but a woman who does so is a whore. It's why Tad Martin or Adam Chandler can be married a zillion times and no one bats an eye, but when Erica Kane marries for the 10th time it's some huge big deal that she has to be embarrassed about because she's had so many failed marriages.

• Members

Hmmm, I'm not sure that I agree about Erica suffering from slut-shaming. At least not in the way we see with younger, more modern female characters. If anything, Erica is celebrated for her "conquests", fun Elizabeth Taylor-like trivia. I think it has a lot to do with context and Erica for all of her daddy issues more often than not had the upper hand in relationships and was just too strong to ever seem "victimized" by her own sexuality. She also really fell for her men, she didn't just sling her stuff. She was never the soap bad girl "redeemed" by rape (ugh!), or tamed by a man. She's been pretty free to be who she is and I've seen her more criticized for the not growing up thing (which we know is untrue).

I'm not sure that we've ever seen a soap female who enjoys having no strings attached sex simply because she enjoys sexual pleasure, and not because she's trying to fill some void. I'm assuming this is what they were going for with SATC's Samantha, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Members

Early Gillian on AMC seemed to fit that role. The girl bragged about the dozens of guys she slept with like it was a badge of honor. She owned it and wasn't ashamed nor was she treated as a slut for it. Of course that changed once she fell in love with Ryan and they transitioned her into a heroine and wiped out any edge she had

• Members

Jazz Hands still has the power to make me laugh because the image of the character is instant and hilarious.

When I first read SyPhyllis and GigglyHeffa, I thought they were brilliant and funny. Redzilla's not bad either.

Aunt Jack is a tad mean, but I can't help laughing when I read it, it's funny as hell.

• Members

All true, but I was thinking more in terms of the double standard regarding their marriages - Lily was horrified to realize that Erica had been married 9 other times, and Jack and Erica had to reassure her on the eve of their wedding that they really love each other, this is 'forever,' etc., and Lily was standing there looking shocked saying things like, "but didn't all those other men think it would be forever too?" Or during Jack and Erica's "New Divorce" show when they appeared on another talk show, with the hosts asking Erica her full name with all of her husbands' last names, and them mocking her for it while Jack looks on smugly. No one shames Adam or Tad for getting married yet again. IMHO, it's an extension of slut-shaming and the double standard society has toward men and women and their sexuality.

It also does not have much to do with this thread, so I apologize for getting off track.

Archived