Should you always tip at a restaurant or at a drive-in place like sonic??

allmc2008

• Members

Should you always tip at a restaurant or at a drive-in place like sonic??

I don't think you should. A few days ago I was at an itallian restaurant and the service we awful so I left a 50 cent tip. Today, I went back and it was worse so I looked in my wallet and found a dime and two penny's and that was my tip to them. The service use to be fantastic but the management changed and everything went down hill.

Also, my parents are always telling me I always have to tip at sonic. I am sorry but I just view sonic as a regular fast food joint but instead of one person being served at once it is many servers going out to serve many people. People always say "Oh, but they are on skates or they have to walk". I am like "ok. I ride my bike everywere and sometimes walk home from the bus stop, which is exactly 2 miles and nobody ever tips me!!"

Anyway, what do you all think about tipping?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I always tip at least 20% for a meal, a dollar per drink at a bar. If the bartender is rude, they get nothing and if I get another drink I hit up whoever else is tending bar. I've never had truly awful table service, but I will reduce my tip for lazy servers who act like they can't be bothered.

I have relatives who like to stuff their fat faces then make up excuses why the server deserves a small tip. I hate that [!@#$%^&*]. Tipping is a part of going out. That's just the way it is. Restaurants are paying their servers as little as $4/$5 an hour, so our tips are in effect paying their salary. It's like we contract them for employment for the duration of our meal. If restaurants paid their hard working servers better, it would be a different story. One thing I like about cruise ships and other countries is that gratuity is already included which spares you the math and pettiness from cheap ass fellow diners.

• Members

I always leave a tip in a restaurant. I would feel terrible if I didn't. If the server is really, REALLY bad, then I leave less than I would have based on the price. But I can't just leave without tipping. If I were in their place, I'd want them to tip me.

Archived