Big hits that are rarely seen today

DRW50

• Members

I think I need to clarify a statement I made earlier in this thread. When I said the majority of Norman Lear's '70's sitcoms don't rerun well, I didn't mean they weren't successful in reruns. I meant they just don't hold up in terms of quality. Specifically, as I've said before, acting styles on those shows tend to be obnoxious -- which is to say nothing of the writing.

IIRC, back when Lifetime was starting out and was a true "woman's channel," they ran FC in the mornings.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes back when Soapnet was actually pretty good, Falcon Crest ran on it. I think it was replaced with Dallas (which is now replaced with one of those 00's teen shows.) Falcon Crest actually went all the way through several times on that station back when they were airing SIsters, The Colby's, Hotel and Knots Landing when the station first started in 2000.

BTW, I know nobody mentioned it (or probably cares) but I just tonight saw that Step By Step is being played on The Hub. I haven't seen that show in many years. It used to be part of my TGIF when i was a kid.

• Members

I know FC was on SOAPnet, but I was asking if it was anywhere prior to that. Dynasty was on FX, Knots was on TNT, and Dallas was on TNN, but what about FC?

Speaking of TNN, The Real McCoys! The ONLY time I've ever seen that show was on TNN back in the day, and I've never seen it anywhere since, even though it ran for 6 seasons, 200+ episodes, and rated fairly high for most of its run.

• Members

Yes, like Khan said, FC was on Lifetime IIRC. Dallas aired right along with Knots on TNT's Lunchbox TV before being yanked for whatever reasons. Knots ran its complete series at least two times after that. Then Dallas reappeared on TNN.

I remember reading the blurb in TV Guide about this new channel called fX that would be airing original programming and classic shows like Dynasty. fX had a loft where they'd do a morning show with Tom Bergeron and that's where Joan Collins filmed her, "Hello, I'm Joan Collins and you're watching Dynasty on fX" promo. I was watching one day and during a commercial break one of the fX hosts said that Dynasty was going on hiatus for a little while after that day's episode and of course it never ever came back. I was pissed because I had just finally gotten fX. Same raw deal I later got with SoapNet.

That GoodLife/AmericanLife channel, it was steady changing its name. That's where I used to watch Chico and the Man and those color musical episodes of The Honeymooners

• Members

Whomp, I read Khan's post and forgot that he'd already answered my FC question. Sorry, Khan!

Yes, Goodlife (might have been AmericanLife by then) also aired the color Honeymooners. Even before all of those previous shows I mentioned earlier, they also had some extremely rare, short-lived stuff like The New Dick Van Dyke Show (which I LOVED), Down to Earth, One Big Family, Apple's Way, and The Jimmy Stewart Show. Also some variety shows on Saturdays, including Tony Orlando and Dawn, Leslie Uggams, and Jimmy Durante with the Lennon Sisters. There was also a ridiculously 80s Canadian crime/mystery drama called Diamonds. IIRC, this had to have been like 2001-2002ish.

• Members

Wow AMS, I wish I could have caught all of those old random shows. By the time I got Time Warner cable in NY, AmericanLife had already dropped all of those shows including Flamingo Road.

Oh Lord Virginia, little Sarah Roberts from OLTL! She was so cute and they had her doing an English accent. You could barely understand her, she was working so hard, bless her heart, "Ehoh Blwossim!", spittin' and poppin' those big cheeks. They dropped that [!@#$%^&*] in the very next episode, accent GONE.

• Members

I believe thirtysomething was exttremely popular on Lifetime... in the 90s. Ellen's sitcom even had an episode revolving around a joke about it and someone taping over an episode or something (I think.) But yeah--as others have said, dramas don't seem toget much love in syndication, period, which is too bad. We recently started getting MeTv and it cycles through some good shows but a lot of ones I don't really watch (I was surprised to finally see Emergency on there, though, with such a young Randolph Mantooth.

• Members

Ooh Head of the Class! Always wanted to see that one again.

I loved when the Hub has Wonder Years but they stopped it some time last year.

The Hub just started airing Step By Step this week. I made a point to TiVo it. Blast from the past!

Here's a couple more to add: Silver Spoons, Webster, and Diff'rent Strokes. I remember Silver Spoons aired a couple episodes on the weekend on one of the cable networks last year.

I'll take some Valerie/Hogan family and Gimme A Break, please. With a side dish of Small Wonder for kicks 'n giggles.

I effing *love* that Roseanne, The Nanny, and Golden Girls continue to live on so well in syndication!

• Members

If you were not already aware, a very nice boxed set of In Search Of has been released, including the Mitch Pileggi reboot.

Speaking of Mitch, is the X-Files run anywhere? I have not seen the SyFy channel in forever. I do not even know where it might be located on my satellite system.

Archived