Big hits that are rarely seen today

DRW50

• Members

Lifetime did have Falcon Crest. It also broadcast Flamingo Road in the late evening, and if I remember correctly, went through both seasons at least twice.

I concur with everyone regarding the Norman Lear shows. With the exception of Mary Hartman and One Day at a Time, I did not care for them even in their original run. Actors screaming their lines at one another never appealed to me. I also loathed the audience baiting of Garry Marshall's shows in which actors were met with thunderous, show stopping applause every time they walked onscreen, not to mention the audience "oooohing" and "ahhhhing" like a Greek chorus commenting on the action. For me, this was worse than canned laughter.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

X-Files airs on a Seattle Fox station here, Sundays at midnight. Actually, they may have stopped, but up till the Summer it ran.

Head of the Class was in afternoon syndication for a long time after its run--but yeah it seems to have disappeared.

I was pretty sure Flamingo Road aired on Romance/Hallmark, not Lifetime. That's where most copies seem to be. They also, of course, back when it was Romance went through all of Peyton Place.

• Members

Magnum is on COZI-TV. Within the next couple of months they will be adding Starsky & Hutch, Hart To Hart and Fantasy Island.

It's nice to see some less-played shows come back. Nothing against Andy, Lucy, Blanche and Dorothy but one can get saturated with them.

• Members

Gimme a break aired this summer on BET or one of those networks. It was funny! and most of those episdoes are on Youtube too.

Anyone watching the Love Boat on sunday mornings on Me TV? I enjoy it, i just wish they would put more episodes on. They run Perry Mason twice a day with different episodes.

• Members

I was gonna say--I enjoyed Fernwood tonight. When Bravo (a Canadian, VERY different cable station which originally was all about classic movies, tv and arts and culture but now seems to only show CSI reruns) launched, they had a TV to Good For TV, as it was called, four hour block each night which would end with Mary Hartman (it also had shows like Twin Peaks, My So-Called Life, etc--mainly short lived critical, or cult faves.) They cycled through all of it including the talk shows and the episodes without Mary and honestly, while not as good, I enjoyed it all. But I wa 12 or 13 and just thrilled to get the chance to see MH and don't remember much (I wonder how far the recently announced "complete" DVD set will go?)

I can't really handle most Lear shows (out of curiousity I'd kill to see his other soap parody, All that Glitters) but do love MH--mostly. Oh and Maude mainly cuz of Bea. But out of curiousity, when All in the Family is repeated, do they even bother doing the Archie Bunker's Place episodes? Are they part of the syndication deal the way Three's a Crowd was, at least at one time, with Three's Company (which used to confuse me a lot, as well...)

• Members

Arche Bunker's Place isn't included with All in the Family, but TV Land did air ABP for a year or so in the early 2000s. I enjoyed it. Different vibe from AITF altogether, but I liked it.

Gimme a Break! actually aired here at lunch time on one of our local stations when I was in high school. I'd tape it and watch it after band practice lol It also pops up from time to time on our Bounce affiliate, usually as filler on Saturday and Sunday nights. I believe it's on TV One or Centric now.

I am LOVING the Love Boat on MeTV. And yes, one episode a week makes absolutely no sense at all, considering they made 250+ episodes.

• Members

When I was a kid in the '80s, ABP did run in syndication after AITF. It may have been two different syndication deals for all I know, or maybe ABP just isn't that popular with syndicators these days?

My local FOX and what are now CW and MyNetwork stations must have run sitcoms all summer day long because I remember flipping through loads of them, including blocks of Rhoda and Phyllis running in rep. These were the days when the only judge shows were The People's Court, and The Judge and Divorce Court which were half hour scripted dramas.

• Members

Getting back to ABP, I found it to be drab and depressing, not exactly fun summertime sitcom viewing for a kid home alone. Ironically, it's exactly the kind of show I would most likely really get into today. In hindsight, I see that it had that damp, overcast Britcom vibe that I dig.

• Members

Yes! It was called 704 Hauser (aka the house the Bunkers lived in on AITF). It starred John Amos from Lear's Good Times (and Maude). I watched the first few episodes before it was cancelled in a flash. In the first episode, little Joey Stivic is all grown up and he swings by the house to check out his family's old home. John Amos' character is a Democrat and he is having a heated argument with his black Republican son (who dates a white girl). Joey witnesses all this and quips something like, "From what I've heard, things haven't seemed to change much around here!" (*audience laughter*)

Now that I think of it, grouchy John Amos in his cap puffing on his cigar and the Queens setting reminds me of CBS' later series, Cosby.

Archived