Your "I will fight you" characters

• Members

My other Erica issue that makes me stabby is when people say "Oh, she never changed. She was always this same vapid character." Um, no. She stayed true to who she was at her core, unlike a lot of AMC's other female characters who were de-fanged and became sweet housewives or reformed bad girls or who just wanted to have lots of babies. Erica never had a massive character overhaul, but she absolutely matured, and anyone who paid attention could have seen that transformation.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OLTL - Viki, Nora, Blair, Natalie, Bo, Kevin (Dan Gauthier), RJ. To an extent, Nash's ex Claudia Reston (she was a minor character but I liked the character and the actress while everyone else thought she sucked.) Also, the bashing of Erika Slezak's acting as Niki Smith in recent years since 2002. I loved it but I don't see why so many people hated how OTT she was. I thought it was a lot of entertainment! Even Clint. He did horrible things but a lot of it was to people who were total idiots and deserved everything he did and more (Ford, Rex, among others)... oh and Dorian's another one! I remember people always saying she "got away with everything" but I don't remember her getting away with anything and certainly not everything.

DAYS - Martha Madison's Belle. I wasn't that big a fan of her but the bashing got so tiresome. Also Frankie when he came back in 2005-2006 as the interloper for Jack/Jennifer, ugh!

AMC - Annie and Kendall. Of course some of that is down to me hating Ryan and Greenlee's guts.

PSSNS - Liz. She was entertainment and I don't see why so many people hated her guts but LOVED Beth (who I hated and could never stand). Also, Fancy. Some Luis/Sheridan shippers just got nuts!

Oh how did I forget OLTL's Roxy?! One example is when people were defending Rex/Gigi/Shane during that hideous story in 2009 and bashing Roxy when she was being blackmailed. Maybe it's that I love Ilene Kristen and couldn't stand the other actors in the story. Roxy was horrible to Natalie at first but I did miss a lot of that. Also her stupidity was entertanining, which I can't say for other characters on OLTL and other soaps, who are just unwatchingly stupid.

• Members

OMG!! I feel your pain. The professor who I have lunch with is always saying that Erica never changed yet she watched since the Jenny/Gregg days. I mean, just watch how Erica treated Mona back in the 70s and 80s then compare that to how she treated Mona during the 90's, especially after Bianca got sick and Kendall was introduced. Not to mention her meltdown at the funeral. I doubt people expected Erica to react that way back in the 70s/early 80s.

Erica basically switched gears. She focused on family instead of herself. Also, just look at the times she married in the decades. She slowed down considerably after the 80s, which should tell you something.

OMG!! I feel your pain. The professor who I have lunch with is always saying that Erica never changed yet she watched since the Jenny/Gregg days. I mean, just watch how Erica treated Mona back in the 70s and 80s then compare that to how she treated Mona during the 90's, especially after Bianca got sick and Kendall was introduced. Not to mention her meltdown at the funeral. I doubt people expected Erica to react that way back in the 70s/early 80s.

Erica basically switched gears. She focused on family instead of herself. Also, just look at the times she married in the decades. She slowed down considerably after the 80s, which should tell you something.

• Members

LOL! I know. Even before the internet, I could feel the audience hate for Eve Guthrie radiating from the screen. I don't care. I loved her. Of course, putting her with Ed was a death sentence.

I'd quit watching GL by the time things really went south for Gilly but she and Hamp just owned my heart.

• Members

I had very few of these, that I truly rallied around hardcore. I would say my soap tri-fecta would be Alexa Havin's Babe (All My Children), Days Of Our Lives' EJ and General Hospital's Johnny. I also had a genuine affection for Jessica Morrison's Jen on One Life To Live, Julie Marie Bergman's Lulu from General Hospital and The Bold & The Beautiful's Hope, but I think that was also because I disliked their counterparts and adversaries in Natalie Buchanan (OLTL), Kirsten Storms' Maxie (GH) and Steffy Forester (B&B).

Good god, I couldn't stand All My Children's Erica. I found her to be so woefully tiring in all capacities. She won everything she ever wanted and even in things she lost there was no real grievance in them because she so quickly got over everything. Nothing stuck to her. That woman felt too plastic to be real (not in the physical sense but in terms of story progression and emotional complexities). Endless admires who got her out of everything, combined with an endless streak of luck that caused anyone who ever stood against her to lose at whatever the price was astonishing, just from the law of probabilities stand point. Fans complain about writers pet's, Erica was a huge one. It was like there was a written bylaw that Erica must always come out on top in that show. Beyond annoying and beyond tiring. She never lost. She was All My Children's equivalent to Victor Newman.

Not to mention their were numerous other women in her sphere who were superior to her in so many ways and yet they still wound up chewing crumbs underneath her heel, truly disgusting.

She also continuously regressed in character as well. The Erica from the 90's was more or less interesting as she had endearing child/parent moments within Kendell and Bianca, 00's Erica was a massive regression. Everything from the Vegas girl to the adultery with Jeff Martin to getting into cat fights with women 20 years younger than her. Erica was a perpetual embarrassment during AMC's last few years.

Archived