Your "I will fight you" characters

• Members

I did like Kimberley Simms' Mindy, but I never hated Eve even when she was there. I mostly wondered why either of them wanted Nick (I like VI, I think he's a wonderful actor and I have enjoyed his work on AMC, but I hated, hated, hated Nick for quite a number of years). I thought Hilary Edson was luminous as Eve. I actually enjoyed her with Ed, although, as you said, that was probably a sign she was on the way out.

Gilly was a great supporting character with real presence, who could have easily become a lead. Forever hating that they dropped her relationship with Alan Michael.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Erica did loose though. A LOT!!

She miscarriages her and Phill's child and her and Dimitri Child.

She didn't get her way when she had the Abortion and when she took the birth control pills

She had a mental breakdown back in the 70s.

She didn't get to win the heart of Phill, Nick, or Chuck.

She was raped at the age of 14

And the mother of all of them--She was abandoned by her father!!

• Members

I dunno, I adore Erica but in all my years of watching I never felt like she "needed my support". :) She is untouchable as far as I'm concerned, Teflon diva. Flawed? Sure, but who cares? Her detractors can't detract a thing in my book because she is an infinitely redeemable winner at heart.

• Members

I agree that her storylines were not great in AMC's later years. She spent far too much time weeping over Kendall's latest medical crisis or dealing with Bianca's relationship issues. Susan herself has said that she felt Erica was off-balance as a character in AMC's later years.

That said, we saw her, over the course of 40 years, go from a spoiled, selfish teenager who only thought of herself to an adult who literally confessed to murder (more than once) to try to save her daughters. We saw her go from caring only about herself to being willing to lay down her life for Bianca when she was a sickly little girl. She went from a woman who got married on a whim even when she didn't love the man to a woman who told the man she DID love that she wasn't willing to jump into another marriage just to make him feel secure.

We saw her go from a flippant teen who blamed her mother for her father leaving to a woman sobbing over her mother's casket because she knew that no one had ever loved her as much as Mona did. She went from practically homophobic over Bianca coming out and doing everything to sabotage her budding relationships to bitching at a minister who wouldn't perform a christening of a baby born to lesbian parents. Erica went from fearing her daughter's sexuality to blithely telling Caleb, "oh, that's my married lesbian daughter." She went from seeing her rapist in Kendall to loving Kendall solely for who she was. She went from loathing the idea of Bianca bearing her rapist's child to adoring Miranda.

The Vegas thing was poorly executed but the overall concept - Erica going a bit insane and doing something rash because she couldn't cope with what was happening in her life - was something we saw her do multiple times in the past. Adultery with Jeff... based on their marriage, he was an odd choice for her to fall for even temporarily, but the adultery? Yeah, that's something Erica would do and did do in the past. As for fighting with younger women... yeah, okay. That was lame, but thanks to Frons & Co, there really weren't that many other women on the canvas her age. :/

If anything, I'd argue that what hampered Erica from an emotional development standpoint was the repeated on again/off again relationship with Jack because THAT never changed. It never developed. They repeated the same mistakes over and over again and never learned from them. When your lead female character says, "Is this another rendition of the famous Jackson Montgomery 'Goodbye Forever' speech?" it's a sign your characters need to break out of the cycle they're in. The potential for emotional growth and maturity was there, but it never really came to fruition. I'd have preferred that they stay out of each other's orbits for a few years and THEN if they were going to be together, let them do it in a mature relationship in which they learned from their past.

• Members

Loved me some Gilly and Harley. But - don't kill me - never could stand Eve. There was something about the way Hilary Edson spoke that I found deeply irritating.

I would add Holly and Bev's Alex to my list. Y&R I'd include Dru, Heather's Victoria, and Nikki.

• Members

Y&R: Drucilla Barber...she could never do any wrong. EVER! And anyone Winters related, except for maybe Lily. But even with her I have my limits.

OLTL: Evangeline Williamson!

And basically any AA character and the use of terms ghetto and thug when they do not apply...and no, it is not relative. I saw the term "thug" used to describe Mason on Y&R (they even have started talking about his grammar). I was pissed. There is nothing thuggish about the character Mason and he has perfect damned grammar. I am not even a fan of him but my gosh was I upset!

• Members

That's the reason I left GL. Not only did they veer from the story, they edited out scenes that they'd already taped. AM and Gilly started referencing moments and convos we never saw on screen. That's when I realized how far TPTB went to cater to bigots. I quit and never looked back.

• Members

This was the last straw for me too.

As I recall, Alan-Michael and Gilly were trying to find the Spaulding's former assistant, Bess Lowell, who had a copy of a document that would prove the true ownership of Spaulding Enterprises. For reasons that made no sense, Gilly suddenly became afraid for her life and went into hiding.

In the meantime, Gilly's storyline was handed on a silver platter to Lucy Cooper, a Mary Sue character who had been on the show for all of two minutes. TPTB also found time to chem test Alan-Michael with Tangie Hill, a character that wasn't working on any level.

When Gilly finally returned, she was shoehorned into a bs romance with Sid, a black corporate lawyer who was secretly a ghetto crimefighter. Jill Farren Phelps talked up the relationship in the soap rags while dismissing the questions about Gilly/Alan-Michael with, "We're not going in that direction." The actors didn't have one tenth of the chemistry of Gilly/Alan-Michael or Gilly/Hamp and both were gone within a year.

Archived