GH50: September 2013 DIscussion

• Members

I like that so many of the new kids are historically connected. But the fact is there are too [!@#$%^&*] many of them, and you don't need maybe half of these people. It doesn't matter who they are if the canvas is overstuffed and the stories poor, IMO.

It's also classic Ron and Frank to lose so many black characters because they don't know what to do with them, and take them for granted as tokens while stuffing the canvas with White Relatives X, Y or Z. T.J. is surely dogmeat soon, even though Tequan Richmond is getting critical notices for his role in Blue Caprice right now all over the country. The way they played out the crap with him, Molly, Rafe and Taylor I also found to be very problematic over the last year, just simply insensitive to any kind of writing for characters of color. And let's not talk about Sean Blakemore.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The show just feels so generic. That's not always a bad thing - there are things about show I DO like, and I just don't bother to talk about those (or about much in general) - but everything seems assembly line.

I don't like to bash KA, because she has already been bashed every day for about six or seven straight years now, on two soaps, but she has become the definition of deer in headlights. Every time I see Kukla I just shut down mentally.

• Members

I think Kristen is doing exactly what they give her. Ron and Frank have never really challenged her, IMO - she's been playing the teen ingenue for years and years, they decided it sells (and it probably does) and she is doing it with a new name and much better hair. The character is now as cloying and doe-ish as Starr became, but that's on the writing Kristen was predominantly raised and reared in.

Kristen has never been able to develop much more nuance to either character because the writing team deliberately wrote against that - and she apparently was very uncomfortable when, early on in Ron's run at OLTL, he had positioned Starr to be the spoiled, bitchy spoiler to Cole and Langston, who it seemed Ron was angling to make the show's new young heroine. She doesn't like playing mean as an adult, and she's said so. And when Ron came back they slotted her back into the prime position and have never challenged her again. I think Kristen's a very sweet, very grateful girl who is proud of the soaps, but I can predict almost every move she makes onscreen now.

• Members

A capable actress would be able to get past mediocre writing. KA is simply ordinary. She has no flare, and she is not capable of layers!

Kman - LMAO @ Sab meeting a grisly death! ICAM!

Cyber - You have to love the way Craptini turn you against their creations [especially when we are supposed to love them] and then spends more time, energy and cash trying to correct it. Carlos won't fix Sab, writing will. I have been curious about Sab away from Patty, but that was before she was written in so poorly for months on end. We were supposed to be waiting with baited breath for her inevitable makeover, but that was an even bigger bust as she changed overnight and became a smug bitch!

Yes, there are way too many newbies at once, but none of them can carry a story (perhaps maybe Britta). All are weak and need retconning every 5 damn seconds!

Penny, that dress was not any less hideous when Connie Falconeri wore it in 2011! This chick looks off into the camera like a child when a light gets her attention.

• Members

Kelley was a revelation on that. She really didn't get the credit she deserved from the soap press who would rather wank over the glories of Britt or whoever else.

It just pointed out how absolutely abysmal everything "Cartini" gave her was. Every single thing.

In terms of working environment, "Cartini" shows are like the 1984-esque world in that 9 to 5 fantasy sequence, or the orphanage in Annie. It's constant misery and suppression of sunlight.

• Members

Kelley Missal was carrying a lot of that show on her back. The vets had stories and did plenty of lifting too, but in terms of establishing the youth base, it was her. People were still getting used to Gorrie, whose new Matthew was sometimes pretty unsympathetic, and Corbin Bleu was new and had a somewhat opaque character early on until they really unwound Jeffrey, and Laura Harrier is just learning on the job. They all had talent but Kelley was a star. And if they do want to keep OLTL going they're going to need her.

• Members

CH and Rhino,

very good points, and ITA my Lizzie is doomed but I'm still hangin' in... just not that interested in anything but the "story" re: Robin's demise/return. Not the pair Scrubs, but the story; I don't do shipping anymore because it no holds interest to me. Whatever a good story calls for, don't care anymore who is paired with who..its all about the story for me now.

I agree that's the word I'm looking for "Generic" I couldn't place it but there is so much predictability I can pretty much figure out what's going to happen and for the most part "I'm spoiler free" as for Kirsten A. I've always thought she's a horrid little actress who after all this time should be "acting" a whole lot better.

• Members

I really don't care about any of them. I've hated the way Morgan came on the show from the very beginning. I find this brother vs. brother Cain and Abel story to be trite at this point.

I do find myself liking a lot of characters lately. I think I liked most of today's episode for the most part. But it still isn't firing on all cylinders. There's numerous ways to make it better. It just feels like the show is running around in circles.

• Members

I thought they actually did a nice job of showcasing Morgan's feelings and Michael was mostly in the background so I'm going to tentatively say we were supposed to sympathize with Morgan today. Maybe that's naive of me though since

Whatever, I'll get back to you if/when Bryan Craig is fired.

Archived