AMC/OLTL: What PP should have done IMO

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not talking about Angie and Jesse. Jacob was not there and even Darnell and Debbi went to the producers and inquired about that themselves. PP signs the checks whether people know that or not. and they do have rights to creative control since they sign the checks. Whether people like it or not, there are fan faves that people DO want back.

People will choose to belive the spin out there by PP and they are only getting less than an hour show, that is fact and truth.

I am not the only one pushing crisis narrative with AMC. Just pointing out facts and opinion on a commenters remarks about the show.

Where is the reference that people moved out of Pine Valley? Where are the explanations of characters missing in action in PV?

5 year jumps do not provide consistency and continuity therefore leaving wide gaps and holes in storylines.

• Members

Three comments:

First, I don't understand the constant harping that AMC and OLTL have "skeleton casts". AMC has 20 contract actors and OLTL has 18 contact actors, which is pretty much on par with the number of contract actors on the other half-hour soap, The Bold and the Beautiful. And pretty much all of the actors on both shows are being utilized.

Second, it is quite possible for a soap that airs twice a week to have in-depth, character-driven storylines. For proof, just look at EastEnders in its early days. The show started out twice a week with about 18 or so characters (a skeleton cast, in your words). The show offered compelling stories that drew in lots of viewers, myself included. One of the most powerful stories EastEnders offered involved teenager Michelle Fowler having an affair with and getting pregnant by her best friend Sharon's father. It was an engrossing story that played out over a number of years.

Third, as for Jacob's involvement in Cassandra's story, none of us know all the details behind Prospect Park's agreement with ABC and what PP can and can't use. The fact is that Jacob was not an AMC character. He appeared on Loving and The City so it's quite possible that PP doesn't have the right to use the character. Clearly, at this point, Jacob doesn't figure into AMC's plans so what's the point of bringing on Jesse's doppelganger?

• Members

We babyboomers kept the gainfully employed show going for over 40 years and so we have a tremendous investment in the show. We are the true dedicated and loyal faithful. We miss the 5 day a week 1 hour show. We want PP to give better and do better.

Clean slate. No. 5 year gap is not a smooth transition at all. Lost time.

• Members

What does being a baby boomer have to do with this? I am far from being a Baby Boomer and I am just as faithful and loyal as ANY Baby Boomer fan!!

Actually, I possibly more dedicated, loyal and faithful then MOST Baby Boomer fans!! I never gave up on the show and never will. When ABC announced the cancellation I knew something good was going to happen and when PP shelved the project I said to my self "just wait until September 2012 and maybe ABC will reconsider". Once September passed and no press release was sent out most fans had gave up. I still didnt. I was actually convinced something was in the works!! My "Baby Boomer" professor who is one of my greatest friends and a fellow AMC Addict gave up after PP folded the project and kept trying to convince me the show was dead in the water. Most people thought that. If you followed us when the news broke they decided to come back there were MANY skeptics here!!

I doubt you can't tell me ONE story line from the 70s that Is not in any of the Anniversary books!

• Members

Absolutely nothing. Linda, on the one hand, seems to think PP owes something extra to her as a 40 year fan. On the other hand, she's constantly complaining that they are ignoring the Rylee and Zendall fans of the 2007-2011 era. What matters to PP is if you're loyally watching their version, not when you started with ABC. Anyways if Angie and Jesse were in every episode eating breakfast in bed or talking about their #1 supercouple love, we would not be having any of these conversations.

I have not seen one other fan who is not supportive of the time jump decision- I'm sure they exist- probably on Facebook or SOC. It made sense for AMC based on where the show ended and what the canvas was and who was available to PP. I don't think it would have been as a wise a choice for OLTL but it was absolutely the right call for AMC. As soon as I heard that was the plan, I was instantly much more excited for the show.

• Members

You are aware this person is from SOC?? I tried to got there once the Soap Net boards closed but I find this place better. Errol, Toups, Angela, Scotty, and the rest are a thousand times more intelligent than the SOC people. I do think Dan Kroll is also at our level so it is a shame he can't sell it and join SON.

Archived