Joan Collins VS. Shirley Jones

alphanguy74

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Shirley Jones has been desperately trying to sex up her image for decades.

Why should Joan give up? If she successfully sued Shirley for libel she'd collect millions from her and the publisher. And frankly, because Shirley insinuated something of a sexual nature, if that book is published in the UK Joan has a slam dunk case because the court automatically favours the claimant.

• Members

I'm not seeing the problem here. Shirley says Anthony suggested it. She never stated it actually happend, so I don't see how Joan could sue for damages.

But I truly hate when people write memoirs, include something personal involving a very alive person w/out consulting that person. That is so disrespectful. Jimmy Connors recently told the world that Chris Everett aborted his child many years ago in a damn book. Who in the sam hell does that?!

• Members

In the UK, if someone states, factually, something unflattering about the sexual background of a woman (from the Slander of Women Act), which Shirley did when she said that Anthony Newley wanted her and her then husband to engage in a fouresome with Joan, as if to suggest that Joan would be open to something like that, Joan basically has her case all sewn up.

• Members

Well, it depends upon how the book reads. Assuming that you would do something unflattering because of something your HUSBAND said is way too much of a stretch, it's liking blaming Hilary Clinton for Monica Blowing Bill. The UK actually has a "Slander of women act"? Wow. So are you saying the UK is opposite america where the defendent has to prove themselves innocent? But the book is published in the US, so there's no way anything is gonna happen. I mean, really. In the court of public opinion, I can tell you, Joan will NEVER come out on top when it comes to Shirley Jones. That's why I said she just should give it up.

• Members

I have a feeling Joan may be trying to protect her children's feelings more than her own rep. She's been public about her marriage difficulties with Newley yet she speaks with respect when talking about her children's father. I believe Shirley's telling the truth and I have a hunch that Joan put up with Newley's sexual appetite due to her own daddy issues with men. It's possible that she doesn't even remember this. She's been branded sexually promiscuous for years, but at 80, she's probably tired of grandma being referred to as a slut. She seems very happy and stable with Percy and most likely wishes to be done with her *scandalous* sexual past.

• Members

Yes, there is a "Slander of Women Act 1891" which focused on unchaste behaviour or adultery regarding a woman. Shirley's memoir infers that Joan was part of the "swingers" insinuation by Newley. No, the UK, as in America, places the burden on the defendant to prove that what they said is not defamatory. The book is available for sale in the UK (looking at the British Amazon right this second), that, for the purposes of a lawsuit, amounts to publication.

And the comments in England re: Shirley Jones are far more negative than you'd think. She isn't the beloved matriarch many assume her to be.

• Members

Joan's children are how old? The only way I see her trying to shield the children is if paternity might be questionable because they are too old to be all bent out of shape like this. I can't see any of them going to their 80 year old mother saying "Mom, how could you? I'll never be able to show my face in school again".

ETA: I find it difficult to believe that Joan partook in such activities because the woman hates to be touched. I remember reading how difficult it was filming her scenes where there was physical contact because Joan would cringe. Her love scenes took longer than they should have. She absolutely hates to be touched.

• Members

I'm saying that in america, Shirley is the beloved matriarch.... and here, she will always come out on top in public opinion. That's still a hell of a stretch, because at least here... you can't sue somebody for simply "inferring" something by assocaition. You have to say it directly. I'll reserve final judgement until I read the book and see exactly how it's worded. And unless I'm mistaken, it's not a matter of something being defamatory, it's a matter of it being TRUE or not. And so far, from the quotes I'm seeing, she only says that Tony was the one making all the suggestions.

Archived