Y&R: July 2013 Discussion

• Members

The neglect of Noah (Robert Adamson) is the exemplifies Y&R's problems. While MAB was wrong to unnecessarily SORAS both Noah and Summer, what is done is done. In Noah, Y&R has a young character with strong ties to major characters played by an energetic young actor. They should be developing him as the next young Newman heir and leading young man. Instead he wanders around aimlessly while they invest copious amount of airtime with aging talentless unneeded Steve Burton.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL. Funny description and pretty much true. I've seen the promo for next week and both Peter Bergman and Hunter King are great in those short clips. HK, this young actress can act circles around a vet like JM. SMH.

JM is a horrible actor most of the time. I'm not sure if he's lazy or what his deal is, he just doesn't deliver when the story calls for it. The only time and last time he actually delivered was during Cassie's death hospital scenes. I've read some interviews JM has done regarding Cassie and Camryn Grimes and I suspect he bonded with her offscreen and those real emotions he could he draw from when it was needed onscreen at the time for that storyline when Cassie died. Otherwise, he just reads his lines and nothing else comes from him as an actor.

• Members

The SORASing of Noah actually works for me because he was born onscreen like 15-16 years ago so 21-22 works for me- its one of the least egregious soap SORASes in recent memory. Nick & Victoria drove the younger set in the 90s so I'm fine with a next generation of Newmans. The fact that he doesn't have story is terrible- its like they tried that abysmal story with Adriana and just threw in the towel. With Summer, I wouldn't really mind the aging either it because I think Hunter King has been a great find either except it throws the whole Cassie timeline out of whack since it makes her death at age fourteen happened eighteen years ago and means that Cassie would be over 30. That would be fine if they never mentioned Cassie's age/death but that's not the case.

I wish they had kept Daniel Polo as Jamie- he was a talented kid. Max Erich is good too.

• Members

Agreed...couldn't have said it better. I truly think that the woman is a cancer backstage. However, if JFP could contain MS and JG use Phyllis sparingly like he had been doing, the show would be better as well. But I don't think MS would allow that.

• Members

These bloggers are using the power they have for leverage. If TPTB wash their backs with info, then they wash TPTB backs by propping/promoting them. But here's the thing, I am convinced that most of Y&R's viewers have been watching since before the invention of the Internet and don't give a crap about the nonsense of bloggers and their twitter tantrums. Summed up: it matters not!

• Members

During the MAB years, it seemed as though Y&R had far more than their fair share of temperamental Divas run amok, so it wouldn't surprise me if certain Emmy winning/nominated actors had demands of what they wanted and did not want to do.

It's dubious that the likes of NB actually knows the full story of MS' departure (even if he got an exclusive interview he'd only be getting one side of the story) especially since he claims JG and JFP won't give him the time of day.

And I'd rather they put their full energy to improving the storylines and use of the cast, rather than courting the soap press. MAB courted the soap press all the time and we saw how Y&R turned out under her stewardship.

Yes, again to JG getting a co HW, I hope this is something that will be thought out, planned and executed. JG cannot resolve a story to save his life!

He really needs help in flushing out the details of story structure. I'm fine with a straight linear storyline but most of his stories lack a proper set of rising complications (that build suspense, character revelation and personality) as well as a reversal before heading to a climax. These are elements that used to keep soap fans glued to the TV for decades through stories that often lasted longer than the current one's on today's soaps.

The difference was that back then, they didn't bore us. There was usually so much going on at the same time, fans didn't have time to get bored. So storylines had time to play out.

JG needs someone that is good with story structure, because his is lacking.

I think the Carmine/Lauren/Michael unfaithful storyline is the closest he's come to achieving this and even that has been a little awkward in execution at times, but it's his best work to date (in his current run as HW), IMO.

But the time for a co HW is overdue at this point.

Archived