GH50: Discussion Week of June 10th...

• Members

Jfung,

Obviously it was a big deal because SK RT'd the person who didnt like that comment from Michael, especially when Tracy always makes comments about AJ's weight. No one should constantly be needled about their weight. SK struggled with weight growing up, and as an addict, he certainly does not need that kind of ridiculous pressure when he's not remotely close to being fat.

Disappointing week until Friday? I beg to differ. Friday is the only eppy I didn't watch before deleting. This was one of FRon's better weeks and that says a lot! Friday was clown and newbie hell according to Twitter and a very poor way to end the week! But I guess if Roger Howarth appeared, GH fans will be running to tune in Monday. Hmmmmmmm, probably not!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While I agree that media and society do too much to push a certain body image, and certainly respect that Sean Kanan has a personal history, I don't agree with bashing the show because of some comments that might have been made a couple times about his character, not even this week. I would be more okay with all this concern if it didn't seem to come with an agenda of making it about the writers, instead of a reflection of society in general which it is, considering the kinds of comments that are made on this board about actors' appearances.

Glad you liked the week even though I didn't until Friday -- supports my idea that this regime has something for everyone, different strokes for different folks. Ensemble, airtime rotation, etc.

• Members

Fans behaving badly is one thing. I'm guilty. I should be held accountable for that. But incorporating fat jokes into the dialogue is on a whole different level. And the writers should be held accountable for that. And perhaps if they hadn't done it before, Michael's comment wouldn't have been interpreted the way it was or struck a nerve.

• Members

There are so many reasons to mock this regime so we don't need agendas for anything. The twinks on this show spend 75% of their airtime shirtless, but SK gets needled for not being Craptini's type? That's ridiculous!

Your idea has yet to be supported because weeks like this are very few and far between. We will have to see the follow thru before we sing praises just yet. As it stands, CarSon just might still be standing in the middle of the hospital death staring one another down because once the clown interrupted them, he goes off to join the Qs and CarSon are...

• Members

that was it? It does sound like people are overreacting and need to sit down. Thats nothing compared to Bell on BB writing Pam as flat out making fun of Donna for gaining weight. AJ does need to hit a gym. Not necesarily for his weight but his health. Hasnt he had recent heart problems induced from panic attacks? Probably changing up his diet and excersising can help him with his overall health bc he's 40+ and he will only face more complications going forward

• Members

It's hard to sympathize with ol' Ron when he makes it clear in his Tweets who he thinks we should be loving and who we should be hating.

For everything I hated about Showkiller Guza, at least his hack ass wasn't on Twitter all the time.

• Members

AJ is the star of the show with the most episodes of anyone in the entire cast this year through May (which is a good thing, as I have commented before). And he has a relationship with Michael that never happened before. I don't think the powers that be would be promoting AJ like they have if they really had a big problem with Sean Kanan's weight.

If anything, I think any dialogue people take issue with would have been good-natured but insensitive jokes that went too far, not "needling" or "pot shots."

Let's see what happens going forward with Sean Kanan's retweet showing he may be uncomfortable with it. If there's something else 2, 3 months from now, then I'll concede there's more of a case for this tarring and feathering of the writers regarding this issue.

• Members

Yes. Let's always excuse the writing and wait and presume it will improve. Because its been soooooooo awesome thus far. Let's always give Ron a pass because he's not ... Something else. Let's embrace any [!@#$%^&*] he writes and never question because ...

• Members

This is a writer who is a perpetual victim according to his Twitter, and many of his fans. So if he writes material that is there mostly to make fun of someone's appearance, then I think it's hypocritical. And hearing this type of stuff over and over can take a toll. I remember Toby Poser, who played Amanda Spaulding on GL, constantly being made fun of by other characters for having big, curly hair, and how some of the other actors felt very uncomfortable with making these comments over and over again.

• Members

Thiere has been nothing "constant" about weight comments or any other "material ... mostly to make fun of someone's appearance" about AJ. AJ is the star of the show.

Perhaps someone throwing around these accusations would like to give an actual count on how many references there have been this year or in the last month. Nope, just easier to fling accusations.

And again, speaking of hypocrisy, fans say much worse about the actors and writers on Twitter and on this board. You think they do not read that stuff?

• Members

Not everyone is obsessive enough to need stats to prove their case. If there are enough people who "feel" like it's been insulting or pervasive that's all that matters. Just like it doesn't matter how much one or two or ten posters insist Ron is the pinnacle of soap writers. It's not quantifiable.

• Members

Actors likely know they have to deal with fans saying this type of stuff, but when a writer does it, that's another matter.

When the person who is hearing this over and over complains about it, that's not just an accusation. He is saying he doesn't like this. He sees the scripts and the episodes. He's not making things up.

Archived