GH50: Discussion Week of June 10th...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Im with Jfung79. Ive been watching this show since SK came over and Ive been on these boards consistently and this is the FIRST Ive ever heard of anyone saying the show keeps poking fun at his weight within the script. I don't even recall anything of the matter on the show. Am I missing something? This was NEVER an issue around here. This literally seems to have come out of nowhere bc of some tweet which popped up yesterday. Like huh?

• Members

I zone out of a lot of Ron writing, when I even watch, so I was never going to notice most of what's said. I just think if the actor is unhappy with the comments, that should be taken into consideration. They do nothing to advance story and just seem like cheap shots.

• Members

So no one has to scroll the post before mine if they don't want to but ... great post JFung.

On the SK/fat thing. Yeah he looks bloated and sweaty at times. I won't lie. However, more times than not I think he and others look just fine so ... it clearly bothered him though which sucks. I think the soaps make their actors look like [!@#$%^&*] all around. We could go for weeks with how the actors look. I never will understand the desire to focus on how someone looks but that's me. To each their own, we are all fair game I guess if we put our image out there. Although, to be honest though, the line was probably just something made to make the dialogue seem more 'natural' between AJ and Michael. Or it could be Ron insisting they make fun of him. I mean, I doubt it, but we see how Ron can be LOL.

I can't take Franco or Roger Howarth at all seriously. At least Laura Wright is working it and doing the best she can. I hate the 'tude she sometimes gets with Carly, but I will give her credit, she's trying to make it work and I can get Carly's reactions, even though I roll my eyes every time she runs to Sonny, bobs her head and demands he murder someone.

Mo just looks so bored it's hilarious. I can't get over it.

Shawn is coming across like a joke. This man was what, in the Marines? You'd never know it, even though they mention it.

Taylor sure is thirsty for TJ. The actress isn't bad but the character's so basic. Molly has so become Starr and Rafe is her Cole. I see it everytime I see them. I really do. Everything about them reminds me of them. I had no use for Cole, who had an OK actor in the role (same with Rafe) and who is nothing but a plot point for the young heroine. Not that I needed to have seen Rafe anymore at the time but his mother was murdered a few months back and he's panting after Molly. Sigh. Ron cannot write teens. It's gotta be an ABC/Disney thing. It all feels so Disney/ABC Family to me. And not in the good way.

And JFung, Laura not asking Lulu about what she remembers, etc. is Ron's typical (and it's not me hating on him just to hate on him, I do try to be fair with him) way of not having to bother wasting time on fallout. Hence why Duke and Anna were off-screen for what felt like weeks after the Faison story ended. I think most would agree that it's typical sweeping under the rug. He did what he had to do and is moving on. Plus we "saw" Lulu deal with it. She whined for weeks on end and only talked to a nearly naked all the time Milo, who is not a good actor. At all. THAT'S a Ron story. Which sucks because I think he can do better.

And again, the dialogue writers are just not very good. But, I will say I have liked some of the scenes we got this week. I saw a little bit of a nice difference (basically the Quartermaines, though I liked Nikolas/Alexis, and them talking about Shawn and his working for Sonny, it was an actual scene with meaning).

I wish they'd stop doing 5 second scenes, and flashing back and forth. You have characters say like two lines of words, then cut to something else only to cut back to the same scene for another like 5 seconds. It's annoying. LOL (though I don't think it's been AS bad this week but I could be wrong). It wasn't a totally awful week so that was nice. I wasn't sure as the week to me started off blah.

• Members

I was thinking the same thing on Friday, and I also had this horrid idea that Molly and Rafe would think they'd never see each other again because of Silas, so they'd have sex and she'd get pregnant, just like with Starr and Cole. ohmy.png Yikes! Luckily I don't think that's happening. But the thought crossed my mind. lol

• Members

Oh... Patrick/Sabrina? Meh. It wasn't awful but I'd maybe like them if their initial storyline wasn't completely forced and overdone.

And as for Olivia getting shot, I actually cringed a bit at her convulsing. She's the only character I've actually mostly liked and enjoyed for the last few months. Mostly due to Lisa LoCicero. IDK. I just like her and I actually wouldn't be against Olivia/Sonny. I think Kate/Connie-who cares? is completely irrelevant at this point. Do we really need Ava, Carly, Connie? To me they all chew the scenery a bit and can serve similar purposes. Normally I'd say they shove Ava at Sonny but this isn't Guza. (EDIT: Got off track, my whole point was going to be I agree with Andrea/ChitHappens about the whole reason the shooting even took place. It was so obvious lol. Ron is not subtle)

Nice seeing Anna back. The Duke/Emma scenes were OK. I just find it hard to emotionally care when it's so sporadic to see them with her and for months Anna didn't even share a scene with her. Anyway ... lol

No comment on Sam/Silas. They're both dead weight. Sam's become totally irrelevant, though in all honesty (and I personally like Monaco), she always has been. The show just needs to let Kelly Monaco go or give her something to do that actually has her show up for work.

• Members

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice the resemblance. I mean it was this weird moment where I just felt like I was watching One Life to Live with Starr and Cole angsting. It was so eerily similar. The once promising young actress and her character are turned into a whiney 'perferct' shrew and their boyfriend is a brooding angsty 'hero' who never catches a break. It's all so familiar.

• Members

At least with Cole there was some genuine family drama. Rafe is Allison's son for no reason, other than a weak attempt to prop up yet another overrated MIchael Easton character. They don't even remember that the Barringtons were one of the richest families in PC.

These characters are just flat, boring losers. Even KA and Brandon Buddy were better at that type of role. HP is shrieky and boring, and Rafe came off of the same dead-eyed twink machine that Ron and Frank have been plucking from for an eternity.

• Members

I totally agree with you Carl on the OLTL family drama, and Marty having a son never bothered me but he was still a plot point and probably Frons wetting himself over Marty's son with Todd's daughter.

For HP, Shrieky and boring is so spot on. I used to not mind Molly and saw some potential in HP but once Ron arrived, damn, he zapped any potential out of her. I cringe now when she shows up.

Rafe is kind of dead-eyed, lol. He fills the Cole role and Morgan is now starting to fill the Ford brothers role, just all of them wrapped up in one. Why do they even still have a casting director when they clearly seem to cast every young actor?

• Members

HP is a very precious, mannered, cutesy actress, and they should never be put in a lead role. I've never been all that fond of her, but in a supporting role, with much better writing, she would be OK.

The only interesting thing about Rafe is how he basically epitomizes the prejudice of the industry. They dumped this defective robot on the screen and we were supposed to love him from the start because he's young, "cute", and white. He had no place on the canvas, he still doesn't, but they didn't think he needed one, because these basic characteristics make him an automatic lead. It's kind of sad, and shows how hollowed out GH has become. For many years GH did try to cast somewhat interesting, different actors in young male roles - even if they were still usually variations on a cute young white guy, at least they weren't just lumps of dough taken out of the oven halfway through baking.

• Members

Yeah, I've been noticing the fat comments/jokes for a little while now and have been annoyed by them, but now that SK has made an indication that he's bothered by them, I want them to end. YESTERDAY.

If they were making comments like that about a female character, the audience wouldn't even be waiting for the actress to indicate that she was bothered.

Such a double standard.

And, no, I won't give Ron the benefit of the doubt, because 80% of what he's done since he showed up has been horrible. He's just better at disguising it than Showkiller Guza was.

• Members

I think Jimmy Deshler is a sweet, amiable enough kid, but we've all discussed the character of Rafe in the past and how this sweet, slightly dim vanilla kid is the absolute opposite of what that particular character should be, namely tortured, barely socialized and all but feral. Instead he's just cute, white and vulnerable and that's all GH has aimed for for that role. Very uninspiring.

It's very, very generic and very similar to what became of Starr and Cole Thornhart on OLTL - Molly is now basically doing KA's Starr from five or six years ago, blanded out and made a very reactive, emotive ingenue just as Starr was at Molly's age. Molly, Rafe, Taylor, even poor T.J. - they're all just mashed into one size fits all cookie-cutter slots, the same sort of stuff Frank and Ron have pushed for years with all their kids on their soaps. Taylor's been onscreen what, four days? and she talks in nothing but one-liners and we're supposed to care about what she does.

Archived