Y&R: June 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See I don't get this. I expect it from GH where for years the leading men have been allowed to become dough boys, but Y&R used to have some of the most cut men on the soaps. Paul, Neil, Nick, Malcolm, J.T., and Brad (even Michael) would make your mouth water. How come Y&R now allows their leading men featured in the main love stories to be so out of shape? They all should have been hitting the gym with summer on the way.

• Members

Which is a shame. Adam, Nick, Dylan, and even Billy have repetitive scenes and they're wasting Mason. Didn't need to see Nick propose to Avery again. Adam be an !@#$%^&*] to Sharon, got it the first time. Or Dylan and Avery talk about nothing while making eyes at each other.

• Members

Does anyone assess Tricia Cast or Beth Maitland as "out of shape" or suggest they need to hit the gym? No. If anyone did, they'd be hanged, drawn and quartered on this board. Yet Miller and Muhney, among other male actors, get crucified because they're not Calvin Klein models or, as DeeeDee put it, steroid monsters. Double standard, much?

They're actors - not body builders. They don't all need to be unnaturally muscular. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

• Members

Nina and Traci were never written to be the hottest of the hot, that men simply could not be able to resist.

With that said, I do get that a lot of guys who are out of shape are likely to get ladies. I know that's a basic fact of life. And sometimes these guys can be very charismatic and likeable (although I rarely see them on Y&R...). All I'm saying is, they would be better off not being put in shirtless scenes. Someone like Billy, sure, I can believe he would be sleeping with a lot of women, especially the women Billy tends to go for (insecure, weak), but generally I'd say he looked better with the suit left on.

• Members

Men aren't held to the same standard as women.

The last plus sized actress on Y&R with an active sex life was Julia Pace & she barely had any love scenes.

Male actors on Y&R can be old, ugly & out of shape & they will still be written as hunks.

• Members
It just bugs me that some have different standards for men vs women when it comes to body image. Some of these same people who are calling certain actors 'fat' were also incensed when Adrianne Leon was supposedly fired due to her weight in 2007.

I personally don't think a man needs to be gymmed to perfection to look good shirtless. Miller and Muhney both look fine as they are IMO, and they're hardly obese. They may not be chiseled by soap actor standards, but they still have much better bodies than the average person. They shouldn't have to hide it.

• Members

But this is not real life. In the soap world, men who are featured as leading men are traditionally studs with kick ass bodies. How come they are now allowed to get out of shape, while the women featured as leading ladies still have to be extremely thin and cannot put on a pound? When did this double standard come to Y&R?

• Members
And when was the last time Y&R had a plus sized male actor on contract AT ALL, let alone in a love scene?

Not that I personally wish to see that, but at least Julia Pace Mitchell got at least one love scene. I can't see that happening with an overweight male actor.

Archived